Unsticking slides

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by manx_yessir, Sep 13, 2003.

1. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I've just been given a cornet by my band that is not in the best of condition. (I've been using a flugel for a few weeks but obviously this wasn't ideal)
    All the slides on the cornet are jammed solid and no matter how hard I pull, tug, yank with a cloth etc, they will not come free!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free these slides? Will applying heat to them help? Bathing the whole cornet perhaps?

Please help!

Andrew Garrett
    2nd Cornet
    Littleborough Public Brass Band
  2. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I wouldn't apply heat as this will make the metal expand making the problem worse. I would try soaking it in a bath to get rid of all the gunge etc and this might help to loosen the slides as well.

I am sure someone else on here will be able to give you better help than this but this might be worth trying. :?
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

dont put heat to it... Heat expands, and that defeats the object...

I'd try soaking it for a while, may losen everything up a bit...
    luke warm water, a bit soapy (not too much!)

if not we'll have to think of a plan B
  4. Naomi McFadyen

...slow thinking (and eatting chocolate fingers) made my reply delayed ;-)
  5. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

just goes to prove that great minds think alike, even when at different parts of the country :D
  6. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I've managed to free a couple of th slides now. I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder yanking them out though! :oops: :cry:

Thanks for the tips! I'm now of to try bathing the little fella (the cornet I mean!! :shock: )

Will let u know how I got on.

7. Naomi McFadyen

to: Floral Dance... Yup! :D

to: manx_yessir... :D no pain no game ;o)
  8. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Whenever slides get stuck on instuments I know quite a lot of people usually put a cloth through the slide and pull both ends so it's easier to get at than just with your fingers, and it usually works. I know it was a lot easier when I tried it this way once. (hope you understand what I mean)
  9. Despot

Despot Member

Yep, just roll up a towel and pull! Very handy on the little valve on the 2nd valve.I wouldn't put it near any heat source.

Warning though, pull it straight and not at an angle or you might with a bent as well as a stuck valve!
  10. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

The cloth through the slide was the 1st thing I tried. Spent most of Saturday trying to free the little bu**ers and the main tuning slide still won't free!! :evil: :roll:
    I haven't yet tried a chainsaw......... :twisted: :twisted: :shock:
  11. MartinT

MartinT Member

You may find that tapping the slide, not too hard, with a wooden implement (say the handle of some tool or other) will help.
  12. MattB

MattB Member

To say the least I am disappointed.

I go to all the trouble of getting you a cornet, and the first thing you do? Post on a world wide website to be read by all that it is 'not the best'.

Only one thing to say...................

WELL DONE SIR! Hopefully the committee may read this and get you a new one!!

Seriously, hope the old fella is playing alright for you, and I look forward to hearing its dulcet tones on Thursday night!

See you then mate,

13. Di B

Di B Member

Could be that the slides inside the cornet are already bent a little bit? Usually this makes them a right royal pain to shift again - so do check each slide before you put it back into the cornet!

Giving it a tug little and often is the best thing to do as sometimes you can loosen it without realising. Sometimes just tugging with all your might doesn't help loosen things up.

In the past I have gone to a friend that repairs instruments when mine was very bad and he managed to pull my slide out for me using the tools of the trade. Not sure if you have a friend that could help out? Going to a professional repairer costs quite a bit I believe so wouldn't recommend this unless nothing else works.

When you do manage to free it make sure you use plenty of vaseline on the slides so the problem doesn't occur again!

Hope my advice for your cornet and its dodgy slides is of help. It isn't an easy topic to cover!! :D
  14. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

You may also wish to try pushing your slide IN, before trying to pull it out. This may break the 'seal' that has formed between the slide metal and the tubes. I recently was given a Yamaha Maestro cornet (eeeurgh - horrible thing) and the main tuning slide was jammed fast (the previous occupant of this instrument never bothered with tuning, just used to look disgustedly UP the rest of the section...) - I was able to apply more pressure pushing the slide in first than pulling it out, and then just worked it free by pushing and pulling.
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Go to your local hardware shop or halfords etc. and get some penetrating oil. If its good for rusty nuts and bolts it should do the trick on a stuck slide.
    It will make your cornet stink for a while though.
  16. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

take it to rob burnett's, city road in cardiff!

he'll sort it for u!
  17. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Well it worked then Matt!! :lol:
    I'm delighted to anounce to everyone that Littleborough have very kindly bought a Getzen 300 Series for me to use. I played it at rehearsal last night for the 1st time and the sound from it was excellent! :shock: :lol:
    None of the slides stick either!! :wink: :lol:
  18. MattB

MattB Member

Glad you like it Andy! It is a nice piece of kit isn't it!

All we need now are twenty more ...................!