Unofficial SCABA Hove Contest thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by andywooler, Jan 19, 2006.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

So, who is going to Hove this year?
    I'll start the ball rolling - Mid Sussex will def be there.

Also, what do bands think about the change to the March competition this year? (All bands, all sections have to play the same march - Standard of St. George).

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hove
    thread
    Hove Contest
    SCABA
    ball
  3. PHA161

PHA161 New Member

Obviously SCABA did not look at the diary when booking the contest date and the Hall ~ 23rd April happens to be St. George's Day ~ I would have thought most bands would be on their own 'patch' and marching playing the above mentioned march.

4. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'm fairly sure Hove is always on the St. George's Day weekend, which is why we're never there.

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Friary are planning to go and support our local association, but we'll make the decision closer to the time (probably depends on other contests and the level of entries in our section?!)
    Don't really like the Standard of St George, but its a nice idea to mark the day and saves us having to think of one, so hey ho!

6. Bungle

Bungle Member

I think Cranbrook Town Band are going to be there. Its my *0th birthday so I plan going out for meal and getting pi**sed afterwards

7. Accidental

Where are you all? There must be more than 3 bands going! Would be nice to have a decent top section after it was cancelled last year...

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think Brass Band Panta Rhei from Ghent is making the trip across the channel for this one as well.
    At least it's in their diary

9. andywooler

according to their websites, the following are also scheduled to be there:

Brighton & Hove City Brass
    Chichester City
    Crystal Palace
    Horsham Borough
    Sussex Brass (Hastings)
    Yiewsley & West Drayton
    KM Medway Concert Brass
    Mole Valley Silver
    Cobham Band
    LGB Brass

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

We decided to do it, though if thats all the bands going they might as well let us all play against one another in an "open" challange with prizes for highest section X.

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That may be a good idea Steve. Perhaps they are starting that idea with the March portion of the competition this year? Could somebody ellaborate on that bit? Is it just everybody playing the same march, or everyband entering the march contest together (like Whits) with prizes for top bands and top band of each section?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hove
    thread
    Hove Contest
    SCABA
    ball
  13. andywooler

No, that's not all the bands that are there, simply the ones whose websites indicate they are there. I also excluded bands who had already indicated they were coming such as Mid Sussex, Friary, Cranbrook

Each section has a separate March competition. usually, bands choose their own march for this competition. Because it is St. George's day, it was proposed that all bands for this year will perform the Standard of St George. (something I disagree with but it was raised at Scaba and I am in a minority it would appear.)

14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Ok, heres hoping for a good turnout! Mind you I still think it would be fun to run it as an open challenge :D

No your not.. :D
    :tup

15. pantarheipaul

pantarheipaul Member

Yes, we plan to come.
    Looking forward to it.
    We attracted some new players, new sop. new bumper up and 3rd man in the front row. new 1st euph. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

we hope to do better than october 2005. at least 1 place :tup

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well I hope it's a successful contest and an enjoyable day for all participating. As I've said on this forum before, one thing I do miss since moving to Arran is the good old SCABA contest! Having said that, (a) I'm not sure that getting everyone to play the same march is the best idea they've had and (b) much as I'm not particularly against 'arrangements' I'd have thought a march written for brass bands would have been a better choice as opposed to one which is more 'military band'-esque. Perhaps it would have been better, if 'standardising' (scuse pun) the march was the decision, to give bands a choice of say, three (that way, the more ambitious bands could have the option of say, playing Darrol Barry's 'The Mouthpiece!' ;))

Anyway, just my tuppence worth from someone who's going to be some 450 miles away! Good luck to all concerned! ;)

17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Will you the playing in the top section again, Paul?
    (I'll do this in English so that the other people around here know what we're saying as well ;) )

18. Accidental

Its starting to look good, thanks guys!

19. Accidental

I've been advised that there's only 2 in the top section - Friary and I'm guessing Panta Rhei? so may be combined with 1st section. Oh well, I suppose its a start!

20. supersplit

supersplit Member

Shanklin Town from The Isle of Wight will be there!

21. pantarheipaul

pantarheipaul Member

Yes, we do.

SCABA placed us in top section becaus in 2004 we won 1st section (Autumn contest) and they replaced us one section higher.
    in 2005 we participated but ended up last.
    so, as I've said, we hope to climb one place up!

We're looking forward to do this contest.
    We hope to be there for the entertainment contest as well.
    But one at a time...

Hope to see you all in April.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2006
  22. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Is it too late to enter for this?
    Had a very brief discussion with our band sec tonight, after the results, and we feel that it would be great for band morale if we could do this competition- just to prove that we aint as bad as what Mr Horsfield thinks we are! ;-)
    We're in 1st section- is there room?....