Unofficial postal strike - update

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Though it largely centres around southern areas, no doubt its effect is widespread, so here's an update.

Updated at 5.00pm, 30th October 2003
    This page provides information about disruption to our services resulting from industrial action taking place in London over the Royal Mail pay talks. We will continue to update you as and when more information becomes available.
    Unofficial industrial action in parts of Greater London
    Mail deliveries and collections to some postcode areas in Greater London are currently being affected by postmen and women taking unofficial industrial action. The postcode areas affected are:
    Central London, EC1-4, WC1&2
    West London, all W postcodes
    North London, N1&2, N5-8, N10-13, N16, N19, N21
    North West London, NW1-6, NW8-11
    South West London, SW1-2, SW4-6, SW8-20
    South East London, SE1-5, SE7-10, SE13-16, SE19-28
    East London, E1, E3, E10, E11, E13, E16
    Ilford, IG1-6, IG8, IG11
    Dartford, DA1-4
    Romford, RM1, RM2, RM4, RM7, RM9, RM12, RM13, RM15
    Greenford, HA, UB
    Other unofficial industrial action
    Unofficial action is also taking place in the following areas:
    Chelmsford, CM1-99
    Colchester, CO1-4
    Coventry, CV
    Maidstone, ME
    Milton Keynes, MK1-7, MK9, MK10, MK15, MK17
    Oxford, OX
    Portsmouth, PO
    Southend, SS3-5, SS9, SS13-17
    Special Delivery
    Acceptance of Special Delivery items will be temporarily suspended in the following areas:
    London, E, EC, N, NW, SE, SW, W, WC, DA, HA, IG, RM, UB
    Other, Chelmsford (CM), Colchester (CO), Coventry (CV), Maidstone (ME), Milton Keynes (MK), Oxford (OX), Southend-on-Sea (SS).
    Special Delivery items will still be accepted at Post Office branches outside these areas, even for delivery in the affected areas.
    Advice to customers
    We are trying to maintain services as much as possible and hope to bring a swift end to the dispute. We apologise for any inconvenience this disruption may cause you.
    Post Office branches are not affected by this unofficial industrial action.
    Parcelforce Worldwide services are not affected by this unofficial industrial action.
    General mail collections and deliveries in the affected areas are being made on best endeavours by the remaining staff and our managers.
    We recommend that customers post items outside the affected areas if at all possible, and only post items in Central London if absolutely necessary. Items posted in London for delivery outside the areas affected may be delayed.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    Post Office
    Greater London
    WC1&2 West London
    Central London
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We were quite surprised to receive a large sack of mail yesterday, delivered by one of the managers - hope I won't be drummed off the forum for strike-breaking :wink:

4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Everythings back to normal now apparently! :?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear :shock:

I was hoping we might start to get some post being delivered on time :wink:

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The latest:

Updated at 9.30am, 3rd November 2003
    This page provides information about disruption to our services resulting from industrial action taking place in London over the Royal Mail pay talks. We will continue to update you as and when more information becomes available.
    Joint statement from Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union:
    Royal Mail and the CWU are both pleased to have reached an understanding that allows both parties to recommend a return to work.
    We will be talking to our people today and will now work at ACAS to resolve all outstanding issues relating to pay and major change.
    We wish to apologise to customers for the huge inconvenience that has been caused and our first priority is to clear the backlog that has built up and get service back to normal.

Looks like it'll take a bit of time yet to get back to their usual (*insert your own comment here*) standards. Personally, I'm not looking forward to having my mail delivered again by someone who appears to be an expert in the art of Origami!