Universitys to study music

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by spiffy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. spiffy

spiffy New Member

I'm a sixth form student looking to do music at uni. Anybody got any advice on the best unis and courses to study
  2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

practical/composition etc - what type are you looking for?
  3. spiffy

spiffy New Member

Well, i was thinking about something like BA music at Salford or somwhere like that, but not really sure at the moment, just looking at the options. Does anyone have opinions on the best university to study at?
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

What Chris asked - in what balance do you want to study performance and theory? Your question's a bit too general at the moment.
  5. themusicalrentboy

if you want to do performance then look at Conservatoires, so Royal College and Academy in London/ Royal Northern in Manchester for example. What do you play? some are better than others for different families of instruments......

Apparently Salford and Huddersfield are quite good for Music, as is Nottingham. There are a fair few who will give you much better info than I can if you can be a bit more specific about what you'd like to do.
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Quite a few of my brassie mates went to Huddersfield. They're all a flippin sight better players than me for it too.

Can't vouch for what's better or worse about it than other places. I went to leeds Met....

...and did history....
  7. themusicalrentboy

Leeds has a very good reputation for jazz.