Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lilcornetgirl, Jul 26, 2008.

1. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

Im off to university in september and i just wondred wether anyone else is? What do people do about bands while there down at university is they stay away?

2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

For anyone going to university in the North East the Durham Brass Band Association have a new section on their website to assist Students with finding bands in the area. The website is the simply click on the link named students
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

It depends on you and the circumstances...

Are you going somewhere that you can get back to band easily?
  4. stopher

stopher Member

Depends where you are going really. If there is only one band close by, try them out and see what happens but if there are loads, offer to help out at gigs or rehearsals till you find one where you will be happy.

Don't sign up straight away to the first one who offers you a seat - its usually worth more beer helping a band out while they try to sign you!

Another point is to see how busy the band is and would it clash with Uni commitments/assignments (I sound old and like my Dad now!)
  5. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

Im goin huddersfield and its a bit far to travel back even tho when i do come back for holidays im planning to help out the band im with and if they have a contest that i can play theni am hoping to help them out with it. So yeah thats answers to everyone!

Im guessin there must be a few brass bands in huddersfield lol

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Just a couple. Most will have someone driving from near you so you can cadge a lift.

Then again, what part of manchester you moving from? Have you asked if any of the players live in or near Hudders?
  7. stuartw

stuartw Member

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

When I was at Leeds Uni I played with LUUMS (Leeds University Union Music Society) band, and a local fourth section band (Lofthouse).

Most of the friends I made from Uni and I have kept in touch with are the ones I made through the local brass band, so I'd definitely recommend it!! Just make sure they're happy about you going away for long summer/christmas breaks. Sometimes I stayed around longer at uni to do jobs for the band - especially around christmas time.

Good luck with uni - its great :tup
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

Hey Donna, I've sent you a PM, hope your well xx
  10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

OI!! we're not dead yet you know!!

Great website worth a look around. And yes there'll be loads of bands in around Hudds. with drivers at the ready and used to players who return home over Summer and at Christmas, most bands are short of more than one player . . . . Are you prepared for the inundation of PM's now?
  11. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

You need a band that's going to understand that you'll be away for the summer and Christmas gigs.

I've just finished uni and joined Lympstone while I was there. And have kept my lip in during the holidays by going back to St Agnes!

You might, like me, find a band that you love playing for so much that you won't leave when you've finished your course! :rolleyes:

Good luck! :)
  12. Fieldy!

Fieldy! New Member

For anyone coming to study in the Bristol area, Portishead Town Band would be like to invite you along to our band room. Contact details are on the website.
  13. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Anyone coming to Oxford,Reading or wycombe Chinnor would welcome you.
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yep - players at Sheffield or Huddersfield will be more than welcome at Barnsley Building Society Band - rehearse at Worsbrough Dale just a mile off M1 junction 36 or 37 - lifts available from other players in area. Oh and we go to a pub with very cheap beer (£1.31 a pint - honest) real ale too - Sam Smiths
  15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Excuse me?! It's £1.60 for a small coke in Lympstone! I know who I'm joining when I move to Hudds next year!! :rolleyes:
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and you'll be made most welcome Liz - in fact the beers so cheap the band are thinking of buying students players the first pint at every rehearsal.
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

It's cheaper in Grange Moor....;)

18. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I think this is such a good post aswell if you no that your near a university put down your band i no i have been finding it well hard lol all i want to do is keep practessing lol hehe I must admis this cheep booze in the locals sounds pretty good lol hehe xoxo
  19. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

If you are coming to huddersfield uni you could always come down to yorkshire imps for a blow.
    One of our horn players (Superstar Horn player on tmp) is at huddersfield and just going into her final year.
    Also yea be prepared for plenty of PM's now people know you're in Huddersfield.
    PS we can't compete with 1.31 a pint but we do rehearse in a pub so less time spent getting to the pub afterwards.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  20. sandy

sandy New Member

silk brass

:clap: Thank you Donna for giving me the chance to invite any cornet players who are
    off to uni in september to contact silk brass from macclesfield,we have a great web site which will give you all are contact details and latest info.
    so take a look at silk we would love to hear from you.