University Holidays - what happens to band?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by caramelbunny, May 11, 2006.

1. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Was just wondering what uni students tend to do about band over the summer holidays?

Do you continue to play for the band you play for during term time?
    Go back to the band you played for before you moved for uni as a spare player for park-jobs etc?
    Find a new band back home who could use a hand?
    Or just take a leisurely 3 months off ;)

I've traditionally opted for the later, however, this year my 'uni band' have qualified for Harrogate & I know there's no way I can take 3 months off & come back 2 weeks before the concert and give the 110% that I know the other members will have given.

Given that uni is 3 & 1/2 hours from home commuting is not an option for me.....so I guess it's a case of finding a band who'll accept a part-timer over the summer or resigning now to give my uni band adequate time to find replacement so I don't let them down in Sept...what do people think? :confused:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    uni band
    home
    player
    part-timer
  3. The other son

The other son Member

I keep going to my band over the entire summer.

Of course I dont actually move away to go to uni - so it may be just a tad easier for me. :D

4. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Most students ive seen in bands generally dont go over the summer.

I just gave up for two years for the first two years and then joined a band for the third year and then didnt have to worry about summer holidays getting in the way.

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Our tax dodger (God bless you Matt) goes home to Malton (about 1 and a half hours away) through his holidays, but it has to be said, his mum is an absolute star and doesn't seem to mind bringing him back over for jobs and stuff, although I dare say the summer break may be a different kettle of fish.

Not sure about our other sponging freeloader, she hasn't been with us long enough to know what she does yet.

6. jenzi

jenzi Member

I don't go to band over the uni holidays as I usually go to America to visit my Mum! Woo!

7. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

When i was at Uni i used to do all the jobs with the band i played for while i was there (Cottingham), it was only an hour and a bit dash down the motorway so it wasnt too bad.

It was during the Summer holidays when i was back at home that i was asked to go along to Emley and keep my lip in with them, and i've ended up there full time now so it worked out really well for me and the band really.

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

we really apreciated it was as well mate:clap:

Perhaps I am strange...(No comments please!) After my 1st year in Halls I stayed in Sheffield all year round to play with Chapeltown. I had to pay for the house all year so got a job in Sheffield and didn't go back to Birmingham at all. I even worked 2 shifts at the hospital on Christmas day in my final year and saw none of my family or friends just to stay up at Uni. Chapeltown will vouch for the fact that I rarely missed a rehearsal and never missed a concert or contest. I even travelled back to Sheffield from Hull on and off for 6 months after getting my job here. (The change happened when I met Cottingham and split with Boyfriend who was also part time with Chapeltown:D )

9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

When I was at Uni (in Sheffield) I would do most of the jobs for the band I played for there as I was only in Nottingham so that was about an hour and a half away. We don't really have this problem in Flixton as we don't have many students (at the moment) and the ones we do are local people studying the banding course at Salford so they are here anyway! This is certainly a major problem for some bands though, you can boost your numbers and certainly gain some good players by recruiting students. But, if most of the jobs are throughout the summer and xmas period then it can cause big problems with deps.

10. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I've stayed at my home band all the way through uni so no break for me! :(

11. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'll be going back to St Agnes (and any other bands in Cornwall that need any help) over the summer.

However, Lympstone is only 2 hours away, so I'll probably be around a bit over the summer (along with sugarandspice, so we can car share!).

We're also off to Harrogate in September, so I'm prepared to make a few journeys to rehearsals throughout August, and seeing I'll be there anyway, I expect I'll be included in the line up for Exmouth entertainment contest a couple of weeks before too! :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    uni band
    home
    player
    part-timer