University entry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flugtastic, Feb 20, 2008.

1. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

being in my last year at college iv applied to 4 universities for 5 courses. i have been predicted straight distinctions in the course im on at the moment (technical theatre) and 4 of the courses iv applied for are the same course im on (technical theatre), my other choise being an acting course. so far i have been turned down by 3 of the technical theatre courses, not even with an interview. i just feel like i have put my back out to get top grades to be knocked back.:mad:

as for the other options i have been given an interview for the acting course and not heard from the other uni yet.

how are other people doing with their uni and what do others think off this?

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey Vicky,

Where did you apply for and when did you submit the application?

3. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

applied at LIPA (x2), Leeds, Manchester, and Salford. i applied in about october. it was well before the closing date for aplications. i dont understand if some 1 has been predicted the top grades possible then you dont get an interview!

4. Hells Bones

You're at Oldham College aren't you? Have you asked Meic what he thinks?

5. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

im in college at 6 so im going to ask then. Meic isnt at oldham college any more he is at University Centre Oldham.

6. Hells Bones

****** hell, things have changed since I was there! Meic seemed to know everything about uni applications even if he was firing tobacco at us from his nose :eek:

7. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

lol he still pops in every now and then! give us a full lecture on stuff last time i spoke to him lol

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK. Not to worry too much about your applications just yet.

I assume you sent in a personal statement and so on? Did someone check it for you? If your spelling's as bad as that of your post...:dunno

Sorry, I'm not trying to be nasty here, but the applications and the personal statement are almost as important as the grades. I'm a sixth form tutor and I handle these things every year. Which ones turned you down? It could just be that the courses you are applying for have a lot of applicants. It is more and more likely these days that courses are over-subscribed and it is good that you got your applications in so early. Wait and see is the best policy. Have a word with your personal tutor - and do it quickly if none of them offer you a place as something is definitely wrong in that case.

Hope that helps.

9. mikelyons

On another thought, the way you describe your achievements so far as distinctions? Are these A levels or GNVQs? If they are GNVQ/NVQ etc are you sure of the number of UCAS points you will get for each? How many are there? I'm just curious.

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Mike's probably pretty much on the nose here (as you'd expect ;) ) - how else do you differentiate between candidates when all the applicants are predicted the same grades? There's neither the time nor the budget to interview everyone....and institutions like LIPA can be quite particular about the kind of candidate they go for....

(Disclaimer here - I'm not saying that you personally don't fit in to, for example, LIPA's Candidate target profile, just that there generally is one).

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    acting course
    technical theatre courses
    course im
    courses iv
    year
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What I'm reading from the original post is this ... she's trying to switch from a college based to uni. based course which is the same qualification. I might be wrong though!

13. mikelyons

I'm not sure, brassneck. Our sixth formers refer to themselves as being in college, rather than school. I suppose they consider 6th form college as a form of FE.

If you are right, then I'm not sure that she'll be successful. The unis are already full of UCAs applications from 6th formers (from what I read, anyway). Unless you are an exceptional student in some way or it can be proven that there has been an 'accident' it is very difficult to do a 'sideways move'.

14. mikelyons

Keith, thanks. We have experts coming in every year to explain what they need to do to have successful applications. All the staff explain what they need to do to make successful applications there are powerpoints, worsheets, guidelines... you name it we got it! But every year there are some who ignore all the advice (we are, after all talking carp) and end up in a mess and the percentage is getting larger.

Thing that upsets me, though, is that we do all this and go out of our way to help and then the ****** parents turn round and say we haven't done enough.**** off is what I say (Internal conversational thread ;))

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

16. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

Im at Oldham College studying a BTEC National Diploma. This is classed as further education (FE). Ive applied to get into Higher Education (HE). The grades i have been predicted are 3 distinctions which totals 360 points for UCAS. My personal statement was wrote then proof read by my Mum, my College Tutor and also the person who sorts out Uni applications for the College.
    I went up to LIPA on the open day and spoke to them about which course i should apply for because there were 2 similar courses, so after 3 hours of discussions and tours i decided to apply for both courses because they both interested me in different ways. They said because of the grades i have and the work i showed them i shouldnt have a promblem getting in. then not to be given an interview is one heck of a knock back.
    im not in any way knocking the way hat our aplications were done with the help from the tutors. if it wasnt for my tutor i wouldnt have applied for uni because i wouldnt have known where to start.

17. mikelyons

Indeed. I looked on Oldham's website and they are a quite busy and successfull FE college. However, if it wasn't your grades, it must have been either something else about your application or simply that there were better candidates for some reason or that they have quotas which, despite your early application, they had already filled. I think that you also have to accept that there is still a culture which values so-called (these days) Academic qualifications (A Levels) over Vocational courses (GNVQ/BTEC etc) This kind of thing does happen. What are your BTECs in? I'm interested. You still have at least one other application to come back. Don't give up hope.

18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Of course if the worst comes to the worst, I'm sure something would turn up at clearing...

19. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

im studying for a BTEC National Diploma in Performing Arts (Technical) which covers everything to do with back stage work, Lighting, Sound, Stage Management, Video Editing, and Construction.
    I do still have 1 Uni to get in touch with me which is Manchester. Also got my audition for my acting course at Salford to look forward to :cool:

20. mikelyons

Good, so it's not as bleak as you first thought.

As geordiecolin said, there's still clearing and before that, there is a system where you get a 'free choice' which is always worth a look at if you have no offers. That starts next week or some time soon anyway - it was announced in our assembly this morning.

I wish you the very best of good luck.

21. mikelyons

Any more news?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    acting course
    technical theatre courses
    course im
    courses iv
    year