Unison Strike Action

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lauradoll, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Is anyone else getting a day off work next Tuesday because of this strike? Chuffed to bits today!!We're not allowed to come into school for health and safety reasons because the office staff, school manager, caretakers, cleaners and dinner ladies are on strike, as well as the county bus drivers!! What a mega treat!!
  2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

They obviously care more for the health and safety of the staff than at my school. Kids are getting the day off, but we have to come in.
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

We were told by our union rep that if the Head opened the school she'd be in breach of her job description because that is not part of hers!
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Hehe, monday night drinking then. What a treat.
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

6. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

Don't get too excited yet! The local union reps here in Scotland are saying that Tuesday's strike is very likely to be called off!
  7. vonny

vonny Member

I was told this morning that the strike is on, although I still have to go into college - no rest for adorable teachers eh ;)
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  8. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

Well Laura, looks like you'll be on for a drink on Monday night after all!
    Just had an email through from Edinburgh Council who have confirmed that the strike will take place. Still no comment from UNISON though - it's not like them not to keep us informed! (spot the sarcasm there?)
  9. Di

Di Active Member

Oh thats just great. :mad: Tuesday's my day off work, my one day for a bit of p & q and what do I get? Saddled to two blinkin kids thats what! :tongue:
  10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Oh yep, we were told we had to go in as well but not in our office as there are not the security people to keep the building open :rolleyes: They offered to relocate us for a day? haha are they going to give me secure place to store my stuff the night before? or provide means of carrying a LARGE amount of folders for marking (within H&S I mean)and a network point? HAHA After much moaning it seems we can work from home but only if we come and SIGN IN at normal time :confused: so now I have to drive on the motorway to work to not be able to get into my office to work. I then have to drive home during rush hour (= an hour queuing on the motorway) to then start half a day's work at home (with a good few hours wasted). You have to love their logic! I sooo love being treated like a professional :mad:
  11. chizzum

chizzum Member

so are schools in Lancashire closed on Tuesday? 28th?
  12. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

If the strike does go ahead (Iseem to remember it was cancelled at the last minute last year), our headteacher has instructed us to work from home. Our school has to shut due to Health and Safety issues
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

As a Local Authority Officer, member of UNISON and part of a LGPS I will be well and truly on strike on Tuesday. Don't think this one'll get called off, the last one remember was just before an election...

The emails etc that I've been getting from UNISON so far indicate that we're deadly serious about this strike and it will happen.

The North East will grind to a halt. The Metro will be off and the Tyne Tunnel closed. The Tyne Tunnel hasn't closed since the 80s and the result will be utter havoc.
  14. ratley

ratley Member

15. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

anyone know if any lancashire schools are closing for the day? *intrigued to know if i get a day off..*
  16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I find UNISON's Blair/Brown analogy interesting.... Brown could retire at 60 on full pension, Blair would have to work til 65 or take a reduced pension!

For me, one of the most galling things about the proposals is that other public sector bodies aren't to be affected as the government has protected other public sector pension schemes. The government appears to be targeting the lower paid end of the scale, probably the people who will need their pension the most. Why can't LGPS workers be afforded the same pensions rights as other public sector workers??
  17. ratley

ratley Member

My point exactly!!!
  18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

YAS!!!! We has an NASUWT meeting at lunchtime yesterday, where we were instructed that we should not take part in any duties that we don't normally do, like extra supervision duties or serving or cooking meals, in case future strikes happen and the LEA puts pressure on headteachers to remain open. I think the fact that only about 15% of our kids don't get a bus play a large issue in our closure as the bus drivers that bring the rest of the kids are striking. All that aside, I hope that UNISON members get the pensions they deserve. And thanks for the day off peeps!!
  19. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I'm a UNISON shop steward down in London in the NHS . Will be supporting all my local government comrades on tuesday and looking forward to the day when we in the nursing profession will take similar action , particularly given the state that the NHS is now in, with front-line clinical staff being made redundant due to government and managerial incompetence .

What we need is a public sector general strike to bring these ***** to their senses !
  20. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Totally agree