Uniforms

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Oct 6, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Whenever a contest hits town, has anyone ever thought how the innocent shoppers view us parading around in walking or stage uniforms? Must be a bit of a shock to some of them seeing what might be observed as a day out for bus drivers, hotel porters or waiters (...yes, I have heard that mentioned). What's the funniest thing said to you by a member of the public when visiting the local sights, shops and pubs?

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I was conducting in my tux and doing quite well until a little voice behind me said "mum, is that James Bond"?

D

3. jpbray

jpbray Member

You might have been stirred but obviously not shaken. :-D :rolleyes:

4. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

The ideal situation is to have both walking out and stage uniforms.

At the end of a contest, or concert, walking out blazers with trousers/skirts look very smart, and must create a better impression with the general public. Stage uniforms, especially those of the 'lion-tamer variety' must tend to look strange! However, for those bands that cannot fund the extra expense, players should wear their complete uniforms without the removal of bow or neckties.

The general public must think we are a right bunch of yobbos if at the end of a contest, or concert, we go out in to the street in our uniforms but with open neck shirts, as many players tend to remove their ties - especially bow ties. Uniforms should be worn in their entirety or we should change in the dressing room in to our non-banding clothes, if suitable facilities are available.

Uniforms can be quite an emotional subject, especially when band tradition is involved, but some bands, conductors and soloists alike have been quite adventurous in attempting to create a different and sometimes more modern image. Remember when Grimethorpe many years ago introduced a coloured shirt! YBS with their new uniform was also a bold experiment. Roger Webster when playing a solo at RAH some time ago sported a trendy multi- coloured waistcoat.

But then the introduction by Brighouse of a second 'old fashioned' uniform of the button up collar variety was very well received some time ago.

I personally have an open mind as long as a 'uniform' policy is strictly adhered to. After all, the definition of uniform is 'conforming to the same standard or rule'.

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Personally, I like it. We use a similar uniform at Co-op. Blue Shirts, open collar, Black waistcoat. I did kinda like the old stage jackets too though. (Except that Bow tie!)

We always change back into our walk-outs after a concert, but if we've got to be around for a while afterward (Say, watitng for contest results) We've got band Polo shirts to put on. I find them much more practical when involved in post-contest hand to glass combat etc, and you don't get as many funny looks from Joe and Josephine public!

Funniest uniform-related incident was at newton grange brass in the park, when an old dear with a blue rinse spotted the Co-op emblem on my jacket, and tried to find out what time the local supermarket closed, and what special offers they had on. Forgiveable, except I was carrying an Eb Bass and a pint of Ale at the time!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004