Uniforms - time for a change...?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jockinafrock, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I remember playing for Kennington (Oxford) in bright yellow shirts, green blazers and green velvet bowties (and the obligatory skirt/trousers of course)... You could never miss us; we looked like a flock of canaries! :oops: I do like the traditional short jacket, but I also think Vardy's get-up of Black shirt and red waistcoat is class. :cool:

Are uniforms going to change much? And does anyone else have a uniform that they would rather was consigned to the dressing up box in a nursery? :eek:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Comic Sans MS
    Kennington
    Oxford
    Black shirt
    Vardy
  3. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

with the exception of a few bands like GUS (red waistcoats and black shirts) and Desford (black jackets) most go to the same place for their concert jackets so they're all basically the same!!!

4. bbg

bbg Member

We are in the process of ordering new stage jackets - Mr Handley was at our rehearsal a couple of weeks back measuring up (must be English measurements he used - I'm NEVER a 42....am I?). We did discuss the black shirt / waistcoat scenario but decided democratically to stick with white shirt / band tie / dress jacket. Gone for the blazer-style again albeit with probably a wee bit more embroidery - likely to see samples at committee tomorrow evening.
    There is a lot to commend more "casual" looks, particularly from a cost viewpoint and the flexibility that it gives bands with a lot of growing younger players. Would have to say that some lion-tamer outfits do go just ever so slightly OTT though - especially when you see folks wearing jackets that are nowhere near a decent fit...............

5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Apparently we look like coach drivers in grey jackets and a yellow tie! :D

6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I remember being at the old mineworkers contest in Blackpool a few years back and a few of us were in a chippie with navy walky out garb on, quite the worse for having had a shandy or 12 and the lass behind the counter asked if we were coach drivers!!! flaming well would hope not the state we were in!!!!!!!:guiness

But I'd rather look like a bus driver than a camp ringmaster/mistress!:eek:

7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I was once called a camp ringmaster

8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

But I bet u weren't wearing ur band uniform at the time!:roll:

9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

No, but i was asked if I would do a whip round of all the coach drivers :biggrin:

10. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Darn and blast! Where were u when I needed u at Blackpool..... back when i was young, (not so) free and single!!! U could've paid for my chips! :pig

11. sop 1

sop 1 Member

our stage uniform is red shirt and black waistcoats,looks great! :cool:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Comic Sans MS
    Kennington
    Oxford
    Black shirt
    Vardy
  13. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Oo-er..!!! ;)

14. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Bring back the liontaimer..................and the cap to go with it :woo
    (but leave percussion in shirt sleves/waistcoats)

15. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Brand new flash fancy waistcoat purchased for our xmas extrvaganza only last Dec just waiting to go on to conduct, member of the audience asks ''young man - will you taking our order for half time now''

£50 well spent then.................

16. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

I, and this is just my personal opinion, hate the waistcoat and shiny shirt option (yes, even more than the gold braid). It makes the band look like a bunch of waiters in a dodgy holiday resort... and I would rather look like a bus driver to be honest!

I think there is a lot to be said for the black shirt/trousers uniform for concerts/contests. They look smart, are considerably less expensive than buying stage jackets and can be embroidered with sponsors details (for the lucky ones lol) or band logos etc.

17. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I always thought YBS in there green shirts and waistcoats looked like greengrocers!!

18. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

What's wrong with DJs for men and all black for the ladies.... has worked since time began for orchestras.

19. Ex_Horn

Ex_Horn New Member

I totally agree - our band bought a whole new set of stage uniforms shortly before I joined and I was staggered at how much they cost - money that would be best spent elsewhere (in my opinion). Also the uniforms are a kind of turquoise colour!!! Besides which we have had a few new players since the purchase of the uniforms and as such the uniforms inevitably don't fit.

20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

The traditional jackets really need to be fitted to avoid looking silly, so any band with any sort of player turnaround is either going to look bad or be forking out a lot money. And then what do you do with all the jackets from people that have left?

Personally, I'm a fan of DJs for guys, all black for ladies. It's smart, it's clothes that you can wear elsewhere, and the band doesn't have to pay for it. I recoiled in horror the first time I saw YBS's shirts - they're just slightly too green.

21. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

I'm a keen advocate of getting rid of the traditional type band jackets with the fancy gold epaulettes, embroidery, gold buttons that always clang on your instruments...if you play anything larger than a cornet that is. The look is just so antiquated, especially in this day and age, when Brass Bands and the so called movement are trying to move forward. We look like something from Victorian times.

I much prefer the nice shirt/waistcoat look, certainly more modern...DJ for more formal events, which do arise.

The big question though remains, what do you wear for the park job when the weather invariably turns a little cold and wet and you're playing to two old ladies and the bloke with his whippet ????

22. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

Sale have just recently had a load of waterproof fleeces made with the band logo on for just such occasions. About £30 per fleece vs £230 per band jacket.