Uniforms - Black Shirts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Soppy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. simonium

simonium Member

Are you saying it looks good?! When they're in the DJs in white they look fantastic but that red kit is dire.
  2. simonium

simonium Member

No definitely no slumming it!
  3. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

Personally I hate wearing a band jacket, unless it was made specifically for the player, the cut is never right and can feel really uncomfortable. I did a contest when I was 8 months pregnant and I wore a black maternity shirt. It was the most comfortable I'd felt at a contest, which says a lot!

In our band, we are very lucky, we have band polo shirts (black with band logo) as an option instead of our band jackets. I would always say put it to your band to vote how they wish to look, as their opinion means more that the general public's perception of what you should look like.
  4. weenie

weenie Member

I don't mind wearing it!
  5. DRW

DRW New Member

Open neck black shirts generally look good. Introduce a badly chosen coloured waistcoat or tie and you run the risk of looking like a group of 1970's Phoenix Nights-style cabaret artistes! (Not sure if this is an improvement over lion tamers!).

I'd also make consideration to the type of jobs that your band takes part in and will the proposed uniform 'fit' with these occasions. E.g. Will the uniform be too casual for formal civic events.

I realise there are some strong views for breaking away from traditional jackets, but they do bring a strong identity within the local community. That may not be relevant or important for some bands, but for my band at least, I believe we would be losing a key, positive dimension of our presence if we moved away from them.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Personally, I've never, ever seen a band wearing black shirts which looks even remotely smart - in fact more often than not the band looks like a collection of slobs.
    Beer guts stretching button holes to the limit - sometimes exposing the white blubber underneath, shirt tails hanging out, Fifty shades of grey, tramline creases or simply un-ironed and darker patches in the small of the back and armpits where the sweat soaks through. Jackets hide a multitude of sins.
    I just cannot fathom why so many bands think black shirts are the way forward. A black shirt only ever looks good when its brand new, jet black, properly pressed and on a slim body - preferably made of silk. After 2 or 3 washes a black cotton shirt is no longer a formal dress item.
  7. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

ooer, hark at her !!!!
  8. chill

chill Member

Sandhurst use both Jackets and black shirts.
    Contests are now always in black shirts, we find it more comfortable, especially if the auditorium is hot.
    Concerts, we will usually start in jackets, and tend to do a swing section at the beginning of the second half, so change into black shirts in the interval . Seems to go down well with the punters.
  9. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

I can imagine the discussion we would have at committee if we tried to suggest wearing black shirts. It wouldn't be fun!
  10. euphymike

euphymike Member

Sixteen months ago, 2011, at the whit marches I was queuing up with my ex band to march a few yards. Dressed in our black shirts with band logo embroidered on and black trousers we became the victims of verbal abuse from an 'older' member of another band ,stood on the pavement, about what we looked like. He was wearing an ill fitting, it probably fitted him 25 years ago, type band jacket that my grandfather called a smoking jacket in the dark days! (I would say that the average age of my band taht day was 30 ish).
    Alas with attitudes like that no wonder the band movment appears to be stuck in a time warp and has trouble actracting youngsters? Possibly a good place to start is getting ride of the old military style clobber and going a bit more 'native'?
    Ps. My current band wear black polo shirts with their logo on.
  11. DRW

DRW New Member

It seems that worst case scenarios are being cited as cons for both (all) options. Therefore it seems that managing against these scenarios happening is key whichever route a band takes.
  12. RossAB

RossAB Member

13. ben16

ben16 Member

black shirts can look pretty good. matter of taste whether it is better or worse than lion tamers, of course.
    however brass bands have mastered the art of making pretty much any kit look bad, so the more pertinent question is, which looks worse when it is done on the cheap, badly treated, not matching, and ill fitting?

the one get-up i really do not like is "brass bands do evening wear". in most cases this should come with a health warning: do not expose to naked flame.
  14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If everyone ends up wearing black shirts, it'll certainly be uniform...

(Could be a bit of a swine finding your own band, though, especially after a shandy or three ;) )
  15. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

You could make them more distinctive... Maybe with different colours... Maybe you could add buttons... Epaulettes... Braiding... Lapels...
  16. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

And buy new shirts for everyone that comes to the band? Badly fitting jackets you can get away with, but shirts is abit harder I think. Personally I like the jackets and all the trimming but I see where people are coming from, although some bands choose disgusting colours which are just garish, I won't mention any so I don't offend anyone :p I think for any band wishing to ditch the jackets, black shirts are an okay option, I have nothing against it. Perhaps the way forward would be to change the style of jacket, perhaps less buffed up, they all seem to be very padded.... or maybe just big on me :p jackets are smarter then just shirts and I think colours and some embroidary should still be worn, partially as it helps me to guess which bands playing at a contest if I don't have the draw or a programme at all and as I think it looks quite nice and still keeps the uniform tradition so no one can complain.
  17. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I was being facetious.
  18. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

The advantage of jackets is not having to leave valuables in the dressing room (most women's trousers do not have pockets that you can usefully keep things in!)
    Personally though, I'd prefer to wear something a little more feminine!
  19. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

20. simonium

simonium Member

There is nothing finer on a contest day to see the trials and tribulations that some women go through bringing their handbag on stage, and the associated burning issue of "hang it off the chair or put it on the floor." It's tricky, even when they're wearing jackets.