Uniforms - Black Shirts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Soppy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Soppy

Soppy Member

My band is considering changing its uniform from the traditional blazer and white shirt to something more modern and/or less formal.

One proposal is for the band to simply wear black shirts/blouses (possibly with a coloured tie) at some of the less formal jobs such as summer fetes etc. However, the problem with this is that, if the band is asked to buy black shirts, there will be a number of different 'shades' that appear, which could look quite untidy.

Do any other bands play in just black shirts, and if so, how do you get round this problem? One option is for the band to buy everybody a shirt, but what about deps?

If you wear a waistcoat with the black shirt, then I expect it will not be a problem because the waistcoat will cover most of it up - although again, comments and advice from any bands who have such a uniform would be welcome!

2. bannisa

bannisa Member

Grimethorpe used black shirts for Brass in Concert 2010. I simply got everybodies sizes and then visited Matalan. £5 each - bargain
  3. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Yorkshire Co-op used to play in black shirts all the time and whilst I was there there were no problems with shades. I suupose the only problem is when its sunny outside. The band buying everyone a shirt sounds expensive, especially with constantly changing personel and players come in many different shapes and sizes, personally, I would save your money and get people to buy their own.
  4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

If the band weren't able to pay for everyone's shirts, I don't think it would be unreasonable to get everyone to pay for their own, but get someone to get them all from the same place, as Andrew said. I'd get a few various sizes for deps though - me, my hubby and the young 'un depped for a local potteries band who wear black shirts (you know who you are), not knowing that this was their uniform. If they'd told us I'm sure we could've got some, unfortunately they didn't and we were the odd ones out wearing white shirts - didn't really stand out - MUCH!! To make it worse we got earache off certain band members for not having black shirts! :mad: Only prob is when they start to fade, and then don't look so smart. I think a black shirt and coloured waistcoat would be pretty smart myself :D
  5. My youth band wear black shirts with no tie and a blue waistcoat.

It looks really smart, and is very comfortable to wear for the players.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Most people can source a black shirt - and as said above, the waistcoat covers the majority of it.

Additionally, we issue the waistcoats at each job, so there is no problem with not having enough for deps. Being waistcoats they don't take up much room for storage either.
  6. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

I much prefer playing in an open neck shirt rather than an 18th Century lion tamers jacket!

Black shirt every time gets my vote
  7. RossAB

RossAB Member

At Ebbw Valley we wear open black shirts for everything. Much comfier and a lot less warm on stage I find!

With regards to where to get them from (if the band is buying) George at ASDA would probably be a decent bet. Go out and get a load of each size, should be covering for all eventualities then, and I can't see them costing that much!
  8. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

Plain black shirts, open neck are definitely the way forward!
  9. nethers

nethers Member

Dalewool use these - we actually spent a bit of money on nice ones and usually wear a jacket over too. Four years on, mine is as black as ever :)
  10. weenie

weenie Member

I think black shirts (particularly with black dinner jackets can look very very smart. The only problem I have is this............with a lot of bands now taking the option of going more 'casual' on stage (which I'm all for), are bands in danger of losing their own identity? Interesting one this. We want to stay in touch with other musical ensembles, so changing the way we look (to the general public at least) is surely a natural step forward. Maybe bands could have a more casual attire for concerts and the more traditional look for contesting?? There's something about putting on your band jacket before walking onto the contest stage, almost like a suit of armour. Thoughts please.
  11. GJG

GJG Active Member

... more like a straitjacket ... ;)
  12. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Like button!!!
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Interesting - we do it the other way around; jackets for concerts, open neck black shirts for contests. The logic is that at contests the auditorium is usually hot and unsuitable for heavy jackets, making it harder to play well when wearing one in a situation where playing as well as possible is the whole point; however, at concerts, the jackets show the audience what we are immediately.
  14. JR

JR Member

A few things to bear in mind if you opt for black shirts:

Long or short sleeves? - cant have both

Blokes - They've got to be tucked in....and you should wear belts... but what style belt? different styles look naff

What will the women wear? same style as the men? £5 Matalan/Asda/Primark? maybe, maybe not.

They can look scruffy after a short while

What's the conductor going to wear? same attire or different colour?

We've done several concerts with trad jackets first half and black shirts in the second - can be effective
  15. simonium

simonium Member

I would like to agree with this, but if you go to any contest with a suitably large selection of bands the amount of duplication of uniforms you see is amazing. As far as I can tell the only difference may be in the logo on the tie or lapel badge. Having said that I've never seen a band with a copy of Brighouse's stage get up or indeed Cory's nightmarish kit. I can think of several bands in the south west that have opted for the classic Dyke look of black, red and gold though. From my own point the jackets are sartorially repulsive, uncomfortable and outmoded. Black shirts all round certainly gets my vote, as long as they are double cuffed and made from suitably fine cotton.
  16. simonium

simonium Member

Bands have similar problems with standard uniforms - my band for example has ex-military players with shoes so highly buffed the Hubble telescope is envious, next to people with matt leather loafers, nestling uncomfortably next to what are clearly school shoes. And then you have trousers. And skirts. And tights. Hopefully not together.

The pproblem with belts can be overcome with a little dedicated overeating.
  17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

As with all things, you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. Cheap shirts from Asda, Primark &c may ultimately be more expensive than getting proper shirts that are guaranteed not to fade and to all be in the same style and which should look professional, has a high initial cost, but will be worth it in the long run. Maybe the band could ask for a contribution to the cost from the players?

Black - as long as it is black - always looks smart. I know you can't please everybody all of the time, but those who don't like it will just have to go with the majority vote. Some you win, some you lose.
  18. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

We at MTB bought two shirts for everyone from Debenhams I think it was, as many have said much more comfortable. We still have our black band jackets though for out door use, but these were just ordinary blazers with the badge sewn on by some kind soul.

As for the ladies when we wear the black shirts at evening events the ladies wear black evening attire as they see fit.Always looks fine

19. weenie

weenie Member

Tut tut simonium!
  20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Not £5 Matalan ones then? ;)