Uniform Preference

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Mar 24, 2007.

If your band were to have only one uniform, what would you prefer?

1. Traditional coats & bowties

36 vote(s)
  2. Blazers & Ties (Walking outs)

19 vote(s)
  3. Tuxes

4 vote(s)
  4. Polos/ T-shirts

11 vote(s)
  5. Waiscoats

19 vote(s)
  6. Other (explain)

10 vote(s)
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

What type of uniforms would you to prefer (if your band were only to wear one)?

Personally, I could do without any ties.
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

i personally think that black waistcoats with a coloured shirt is the way forward for uniforms.... trying to get them into the 21st century! :)
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I would have to go for Blazers and Ties. This way the band always has a smart uniform to perform in (concert or contest). I don't think it looks as good when a band turns up to a contest in their civvies, put's their dress uniform on to perform and returns to civvies after the performance. It looks much better if the band has a blazer displaying the bands badge so they all look as a collective whole.
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I voted for traditional jackets etc.

Although I wouldn't say it's my favourite item in my wardrobe, when we're wearing them, we look smart and we look like a proper brass band. Brass bands are part of traditional British life.

We used to have really horrible blazers and we looked awful. On way from the car park to the band stand at the first gig with the new jackets (complete with gold braiding etc) last year, I was stopped by someone who wanted to know where the brass band would be playing. No-one would have done that with the old jackets cos we just looked so awful.

On the other hand, I've just joined our band's youth band as well and I'm really looking forward to wearing a polo t-shirt as the uniform for that! Nice and cool and comfortable on a hot day!
  5. Veri

Veri Member

We're wearing black trousers and black shirts at the moment. Although it makes us look as if we're part of some political movement, everyone seems to like it - no jackets to cart around at a contest, no ties, and very smart. So, I voted other.
  6. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Traditional coats should go.
  7. barrytone

barrytone Member

We wear burgundy shirts, black trousers or skirts and black waistcoats. We tuck the shirts in but leave the collars open, soooo comfortable to play in.
  8. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I think on a concert stage waistecoats and a contest stage traditional uniforms. Then jackets and ties as walking outs! All in all lots to carry and get worried about forgetting things!

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've gone for jackets and ties if there is to be just one option.

At Hadleigh we have our normal navy tunics that we wear during the winter months, shirts with epaulettes for the summer and red festival tunics (with black ties) for special occasions, We also have band jumpers, generally used for travelling/eating in during the winter, and we bought a set of polo shirts for our trip to Holland, although we haven't used them much. For our proms nights, we do the second half in white long-sleeved shirts with bow ties, the ladies in the band wearing dresses of their own choice.

I too think it is much better if a band looks presentable before an engagement, when they are setting up or hanging around, rather than just changing at the last minute.
  10. oddbod

oddbod Member

Look, I’m way in a minority here before I start – I know this through debates in the pub on the same subject – but here goes:

It is bad enough that people look at us as if we are “Morris Men” – a thing of the past.

When I conduct a brass band at galas/fetes/well dressings - call them whatever you do depending on region – what I hear – again and again from the “OK Yah” families –all making sure their little ones get to take in every possible sight and sound of the day - is “Oh look at the band with their shiny buttons and instruments, doesn’t it look splendid” – what don’t hear is “Oh listen to the band!”

And you can argue that it is an important part of fund raising – I know – but either they get live music for a couple of hundred quid or they don’t – if we dressed more in line with the 21st century- people may actually start to say – Hey – what’s that about – it’s just a bunch of folk – listen –they’re playing music! … and - we should want to be heard for our music.

So for me – I’d choose a colour - fairly uniform - to show that it is one team – and I’d ditch the monkey jackets – I’d be trying to make the statement that we are musicians and not a cheap circus turn…

As for a second or third uniform… to be honest, I’d just give the money to a good cause. We are supposed to be musicians! – do we honestly have to arrive in a town, get out of our cars or off a bus – all dressed the same? – smacks of a Channel 4 comedy to me – and in this age of personal development it is surely not needed as a psychological crutch.

But as I say… I’ve been alone a long time on this one… fair enough… I don’t expect any kind comments.
  11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I much prefer the waistcoats - much more comfortable on the contest/concert stage. In my opinion, the traditional uniform has got a bit old hat, it should be replaced with something a bit more modern, and comfortable - its time to fully modernise the brass band image methinks.
  12. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

i agree,timperly have just gotten some new uniforms an have decided to go with the ybs look but in red and i must say they are very comfortable on stage,the look good and give you room to breath on stage with out the bow ties!!
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one; for myself, I couldn't possibly be less interested in what a band looks like - on or off stage. I'm interested in what they sound like ...
  14. oddbod

oddbod Member

Well! - that's two of us in the naughty corner then Gareth.....
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

White jackets can look very striking though, Gareth, especially with a red shirt underneath ;)
  16. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

That's what we wear at Killamarsh as well. It looks smart.
  17. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Another vote for 'Other' here, we wore all black (ni tie or jacket) and I find that far more comfortable to play.

We had a vote in band and the majority wanted to ditch the jackets.
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Ah, well, it's slightly different for conductors; we have to look good because we don't actually make any sound ...
  19. MattB

MattB Member

Must admit I'm torn on this one. Personally I think the 'traditional' silver jackets we have are gorgeous, but I'm drawn to the current trend of open shirt and waistcoats. Our near neighbours Anderson Brass have just got new uniforms, and they look very striking.

As I'm on the fence, I'll refrain from voting until I decide one way or another!

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Well, personally I heartily dislike the whole uniform thing - if people are considering what I look like when I play, then I and my fellow players have failed as musicians.

However... the comedy jackets we wear are, in marketing-speak, a recognisable "brand". People see them, they feel comfortable that something familiar is on the way. Indeed, having such a brand helps reassure people that they are getting value for money when they book a band - which, when an appreciable fraction of bands sound pretty ropy, can only aid in finding and maintaining new engagements.

I really don't think that there is any point in wearing them on the contest stage, though. The room is invariably stuffy and hot, you are invariably nervous, and suddenly there is an extra handicap to your playing (especially if you play an instrument which involves moving around a bit). There is also nobody present to impress with the "brand" - you're among fellow banders, we all know the score.