Uniform Design

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brasscrest, Feb 24, 2004.

1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I've been tasked with proposing designs for new band uniforms. I've got contacts to get them made and some things (like the color) are already set. I appeal to the wisdom of the forum for design elements to avoid or include :) - for example, the jackets we have been wearing for the last twenty years (yes - the same ones :cry: for twenty years - not just the same design, but the same jackets) have metal buttons down the front - which is not so good for the finish on the euphs and basses.
  2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Just finished redoing my own uniform. Here's a couple of things we've found.

Make sure the trousers are easily adjustable. Extra material to "let them in/out".

A lot of people, especially younger players, don't like wools, so a blend or a sunthetic works better. We opted for a poly/wool blend. This is alsso better for frequent washings and doesn't necessarily need drycleaning.

Try to get a colour that can be easily duplicated if extra pants need to be made/bought later on. Blacks and some navy blues are best here.

We had a lot of debate over the stripe. Do we want it? How big? In the end we added it because our band wanted it (but not the committee) and it looks impressive on marches, which we do at least 3 times a year. ASK YOUR PLAYERS (!!!!!!!) before deciding on this. Also, it tends to help the trousers hold their shape better.

Work Drill shirts are cheaper, don't vary in colour, wash better and can be more practical that fancy dress blouses. In Australia we have a brand called King Gee, and another, Yakka (from the phrase "hard Yakka" meaning hard work). Bonds may have something similar. These also have a reputation for being "holeproof".

If you are changing your ties, or buying a few more, save a little hassle and buy a mass order. Colours can vary from batch to batch in everything, including ties, and you want to look as identical as possible, I presume!

Under new Health Codes, we cannot get our band hats (Military Officer style "lids") cleaned, so the years of grime and such are starting to make them look worse for wear. I don't know what things are like there, but look into it. If hats need replacing, a lot of health organisations are recommending fuller brims. We chose a design that claims to be "indestructible", meaning it can be hand washed and bends back intoi shape. This is good as our secondary hats, Akubras (bushman hats) tendded to get bent in the brims in different angles depending on what suited the player.

Hope this helps!!
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Our colors are already set. Black pants. Good idea about the ties - we've got quite an assortment happening now.
  4. Okiedokie of Oz

Also, some women prefer pants that are a little elasticcy in the waist as they "fluctuate."

Our colours were set too, but originally we had a royal blue colour, but should we run out of trousers and we need to get more, we'd have to specially order or make them. By changing to the ink blue (which is a dark navy really) we made pants that could be purchased anywhere, and we ordered a large roll of the grosgrain fro the stripe.
  5. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Continuing from our fashion guru from downunder :wink: , it may be worthwhile to get 2 or 3 jackets from the furthest ends of the sizing spectrum. Presuming that you want to encourage young players and may have the need of some players that have......er........drunk life to the full.
  6. Okiedokie of Oz

If you ever saw me in real life, you wouldn't even contemplate calling me a fashion guru!!!

Lol, I just learned from all the women during committee meetings. Reasons why this idea was good, and that idea wasn't.....we learned our lessons the hard way, some of us did.

But yes, Mr Animal has a point. Keep whoever makes your coats prepared, in case you find later you need to make another 3 sizes bigger/smaller etc.

I am presuming black shoes/socks?? Can't go wrong there. However, anyone have any suggestions for shoe polishes?
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although you probably won't want to hear this, especially after Waitakere's win there last year, but I'm afraid it has to be
    KIWI :wink:
  8. Well Worth It

HAHAHA. That's It!!
    Was trying to remember. KIWI Polish. Sorry Okie!!!
    Do you think they use it for their face paints!?!?!
  9. Okiedokie of Oz

:p @ Peter.

'Tis OK, that's what I use. And Waitakere ain't too bad, they deserved their win. Them or Dalewool, who I hear are heading over your way for the British Championships (I think).
  10. Okiedokie of Oz

andI have no idea what they use on their faces.......never even thought to ask, to be honest :D
  11. Well Worth It

Have any of our male contingent of tMPers ever had to sit through the ladies' Skirt/Trousers/Tights/Socks discussion.
    Turns into a fantastic b!tching session.
    Each of the female members, having their opinion based on the condition of their pins. Magnificent to watch. :lol: :roll: :lol:
  12. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

We had this while discussing a new dress code at work the other week. Someone actually seriously suggested that skirts should only be allowed for people with slim, tanned legs. Great fun!
  13. Well Worth It

Works for me.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about though. Miaaoowww!
  14. Okiedokie of Oz

Yesd we went through that too. That's actually were the subject of fluctuation came up. Ever heard a doctor talk about the affects of menstruation, gents???

So I learned my lesson from that debate, and decided not to mention it here. Surely you have enough intelligent people over there to do likewise.....God can hope!
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

As an SA band. we pretty much have to go with skirts for the women (although we have at least one who has rebelled and worn trousers anyway). This attitude prevails even when it makes absolutely no sense - for example, for the Tournament of Roses Parade band, the rules are that the women must not only wear skirts but also at least 1-inch heels. For a march of over 5 miles. And it looks ridiculuous - since the players are arranged by part and height in the group, you have spots of bare legs in large areas of trousered legs.

That being said, in my case, the band supplies the jackets only. So my mandate to redo the uniforms only extends to the jacket design.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When we took part in the Lord Mayor's Show, which takes place in London in November, when the weather is not exactly at its most reliable, we decided that, regulation or not, the ladies would wear trousers - although the timbrellists remained in their skirts.

Without exception the comments afterwards, even from some who I might have thought would have been critical, were saying what a sensible decision it was. As the trend is towards opting for trousers in so many areas - police, military bands etc - I would hope that there will soon be much more flexibility regarding this sort of thing.
  17. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Our band says that the females should wear skirts, but if it is cold or we're marching we can wear trousers, or we do wear trousers. It is very serious whether to wear a skirt or trousers. You blokes would understnad if you had to wear tights!
  18. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

We wore tights and there wasn't a problem Jo. You sure it's not just you women moaning about nothing again? :lol: :wink:
  19. NeilW

NeilW Member

20. scott clark

scott clark New Member

I really like the look of YBS band uniform. This would be cheaper and more fashionable :)