Uni brass bands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Craigsav83, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Just curious here... how many universities actually have brass bands - either contesting or non-contesting - and how old are they? Cheers

2. davidsait

davidsait Member

The University of Warwick has a Brass Band (part of the larger, all encompassing, University of Warwick Brass Society). The band contests regularly, usually at both the West Midlands Brass Band Association Annual Contest, the areas and Whit Friday.
    The Society was formed in 1992, has over 50 members and is supported by both the University and the Students Union.
    Finally, it should be noted that the University offers no course or degree in music - we're all students of a wide variety of subjects.

3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

salford have 2 fixed ensembles.
    rncm don't have a set band, and it changes for each concert.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I have a question! Do Salford use any students outwith the department that play brass instruments or is it a closed shop?

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Both Durham and Leeds have brass bands. Sheffield doesn't although there are probably enough brass players floating around to form at least a small ensemble. I don't think Durham Uni Band is very old, I think Neil Twist may have been a founder member a couple of years ago? MissFlugel is their President so she may be able to shed light better.

6. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Helen V on TMP... She's not in the music Dept and she's in uni band...

7. asteria

asteria Member

And honoured to play with such a fine bunch of people! ;)

8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

You are joking arnt you?? :D

9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Hudds Uni have one - non-contesting but our concert programmes almost always include a couple of test-pieces. It's a slightly larger than standard brass band.

10. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

exmouth- (that's the exmouth campus of plymouth uni) will be having a brass ensemble in october- with yours truely playing euph, and liz informs me she wishes to play tenor horn!! know a few of the bras splayers up there, (camborne and st keverne players) so it should be a laugh!! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Uni brass bands
    universities
    non-contesting
    Cheers