Unexpected effects from mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andrew Stringer, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Andrew Stringer

Andrew Stringer New Member

My wife plays 2nd/3rd cornet in the same bands as me, she often uses a practice mute at home to avoid annoying the neighbours. She bought me a Denis Wick baritone mute for my birthday, in the hope that it would enable me to practice quietly. However I soon discovered that if you put plenty of air through it, particularly in the higher register, it reverberates producing a tremendous rasp like a trombone. I hasten to add that I usually practice when the neighbours are out. She now regrets her purchase - I most certainly don't! Have other readers experienced interesting or unexpected effects from mutes?

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

To be honest, you don't want to be doing that...

It's basically overblowing and can really mess you up when it comes to unmuted playing.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of practice mutes aside from very occasional use, and I prefer the electronic (Yamaha or bestbrass) ones because the feedback removes yth temptation to overblow... Even then, mutes increase resistance and tend to affect intonation (practice mutes moreso, the Wick I had was particularly bad for it).

J. Jericho likes this.
  3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho New Member

+1. I use a practice mute when I travel, and I use the time to pay softly-to-medium softly. If you try to match volume with that of an unmuted horn, you'll have a harder time readjusting to playing open. I ignore intonation with the practice mute and just focus on resonance; that way I don't have to relearn the intonation on my horn when I play it unmuted again.

As for sound effects, yes, a practice mute can produce a muted rasp. I suppose you could find an occasion to feature this sound; just don't accustom yourself to it on a regular basis. And remember... there's no harm in playing softly.

Slider1 likes this.
  4. QubaMan

QubaMan New Member

I always use a practice mute at home and tbh it has given my playing a 'bigger' (not necessarilly louder) sound - yes there is a rasping sound on certain notes, usually yop Fs but on Tuba it's not really not such a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice