Uncomestaed euph. with trigger?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfiend, Aug 16, 2017.

1. euphfiend

euphfiend New Member

I'm shortly going to sell my Neo euph as I'm giving up "serious" banding (and I want to buy a motorbike while I can still get on it without falling off the other side). But I don't want to be without a euph completely. What do you folk think about a non-compensated instrument with an after-market trigger (a) theoretically (b) in reality? I 'm aware that after-market triggers are not problem-free, and the cost might be as great as paying for a compensated instrument. But that aside? All non-compensated valve combinations are sharp, never flat, so in theory a trigger intelligently applied should suffice. But it sounds too good to be true. All help gratefully accepted!

2. euphfiend

euphfiend New Member

Sorry, typo in title, apologies all round, normally quite literate.

3. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Never mind, a nice cup of tea and a lie down should help.

4. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

upload_2017-8-16_19-15-53.png

No way, Slider1; people are just jealous because trombonists can make their instruments rasp even when playing pp!!

Now, where did I put me tin 'at and flak jacket . . . .
    :cool:

5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

7. pbirch

pbirch Member

the best help I can be (and you probably won't accept this so gratefully) is to say don't do it. Middle aged men and motorbikes are not a good combination (especially if you are going to be new to motorcycling). Stick to banding. If you don't - I wish you all the luck you will need

Euphonium Lite and Andrew Norman like this.
  8. euphfiend

euphfiend New Member

I must admit this thought had occurred to me! But not new to motorcycling - much of my misspent youth, and some of my "adult" (really - a euphonium player?) years were spent on two wheels. I just fancied a last trot round the field before sinking inexorably toward the knacker's yard. And my euph playing was never as good as I wanted it to be. But the advice is taken seriously - thanks.

Jack E likes this.
  9. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

With you working in the NHS I would guess that you have seen many seriously damaged indivuals who have been in Motorcycle accidents. Interestingly the bulk of Motorbike accidents are caused by operator error, many with no other vehicle involved or just a rider doing something stupid and so involving other vehicles. I am pro motorcycling but as a means of affordable, liberating and quite enjoyable transport rather than as a sporting activity - IMHO folk should get their 'adrenaline kicks' from something else. If you do do a lot of Motorcycle riding then I believe that advanced riding instruction is a good investment in significantly improving the likelihood of accident free journeys and reducing accident severity too.

I used to play in the same band as a chap who had a three valve non comp Euphonium, he sounded great and ran rings around the other players there who had much fancier stuff. At the end of the day good equipment just makes things easier whilst an expert player (not me by miles) generally works around the problems and still sounds better than those around him/her.

Jack E likes this.
  10. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

I've seen a lot of "middle aged men and motorbikes" come seriously unstuck around here - Peak District roads are narrow, lined with stone walls and steep drops, and littered with blind bends and blind summits; but it's not those who, like Euphfiend and myself, spent years (decades, in my case) riding bikes large and small, who I see getting loaded into ambulances. No, the wipe-out merchants follow the same pattern, with monotonous regularity.

When they were 16, they had a small bike. When they were 17, they switched to driving cars. When they reached middle age, they suddenly found themselves looking at other people riding flash bikes, and realise how much fun they missed. Then, in an attempt to make up for their lost youth, they go and buy some incredibly powerful bike - the like of which they've never ridden before - and go hell for leather on some really dangerous road to 'prove' that there's life in the old dog yet. And fail.

I think that, based on his experience, Euphfiend is wise enough to know what sort of bike is right for him, how to handle it safely, and to know his limitations. And it is, after all, his life.

With best regards,

Jack

pbirch and Slider1 like this.
  11. David Broad

David Broad New Member

Buying a motorbike while you can still ride is a good move, sciatica and CIDP put an end to my Motorbike riding back in 1990, though I still have my 1000 Guzzi in the hope I may be fit enough to ride again. We have narrow potholed and very fast (mile plus straights) roads in the Cotswolds and crashes requiring the Ambulance/ air Ambulance are frequent occurrences, that is Push Bikes and German cars mainly. However the combination Japanese bikes with of lots of power, small unstable front wheels, top heavy weight distribution etc does leave a lot of very bent motor bikes lying on their sides round here waiting for an insurance assessor to write them off with the owners wondering what the hell happened...

A non compensated Euph is like a Relaint Robin is to a car. Something missing. Horrible things, the horribly sharp low D and C# drives me mad. We have one which is almost OK for day 1 learners. OK with a trigger you can trigger it in to tune on long notes but it is impractical in fast passages and it then yelps like a dog as it changes from in tune to out of tune on successive notes. My advice would be get an old compensated 4 valve Euph, I played a 1920 Boosey and Hawkes for years Carol playing, it was high pitch originally, but had a later mouthpipe / reciever to take the 1990s taper mouthpieces and it sounded good, sweet, Tenor Hornish, but lacked power, ideal for playing Bass in quartets and great for home practice. There must be hundreds of the things hung on nails or buried in the Band's store rooms up and down the country, even a 1990s Imperial shouldn't dent the bike budget unduly.

12. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yes... Better instruments with better intonation will make it easier to play in tune with players who play in tune, which in turn increases endurance (lipping stuff around constantly is very tiring) - if you're playing with bands with questionable tuning in the first place (let's face it, there's plenty of those!) then you being out of tune occasionally too isn't as big a problem as it would be if you were playing for much stronger bands where the instrument is more of a handicap.

Likewise through technical passages, the best instruments are just easier to play - the open slots line up more predictably and make flexibilities easier to navigate, and that's before you get to duff valve combinations you'd have with an uncompensated instrument!

Yes, a great player is going to sound great on anything - but an instrument befitting their abilities will really make all the difference.

13. euphfiend

euphfiend New Member

Thanks for all the help on both subjects!