Unbroken Attendance at band Practice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

When did you last "miss" a rehearsal?

Don't count holidays, illness or disaster striking after you've set out for a rehearsal. (So, car breaking down on way doesn't get counted, but working late at the office does!)

I'll give you a starter for 3rd May 1988.
  2. uuuhhhhh...tuesday!!!! :oops:
  3. Trigger

Trigger Member

If you don't count the weekend of my birthday in November and my best friends 18th which was two years ago, then I have never missed a rehearsal as long as i've been playing in a brass band. I have however had one and a half weeks off at the end of my academic year to catch up on uni work that I was behind in because of never missing band throughout the year and that was a good couple of years ago. I don't know if that counts :?: :? But either way, these are the only things I have missed in about seven years of banding. Still can't beat Will the Sec though!! but that's probably becauase I was only five when he last missed a rehearsal! :wink:
  4. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Other than work and a singular family inlness, I've never skived from band :D
  5. deave

deave Member

I haven't missed band for a year this easter, and the year before that only one rehearsal....

Sadly, i'm missing the grand shield with my band to go to my sister's wedding. I would go late, but my mum is coming from Australia, two aunties from new zealand and another from vegas.

Band outcast or family outcast??? probably BOTH!!
  6. katej

katej Member

Apart from missing rehearsals due to illness or family or holiday , I can't recall ever having missed one. I started banding in 1987 although i did have a big gap of 14 years!!
    I even told work that I couldn't work their biggest day of the year and turned down double time to go to the areas this year. Commitment to banding or wot? Or is it that I just don't like my job? :lol:
  7. louise0502

louise0502 Member

i have to miss a junior band concert this year because it's my prom! That's quite a good reason, i think anyway

And my school concerts are always on wednesdays, so i have to miss band then. But other than that, not a lot
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

not since i quit music school when I was 12... missed a concert, and since i was playing the introduction to the first piece it wasn't appreciated...
  9. Will the Sec

So, according to the goalposts set, less than a year, then?

Nope. "Working" counts as an absence. Just a few weeks then?

"Family" things count as an absence. Your fourteen years is invalid, madam.

So, how long then?

Frankly disappointing! I was expecting SOMEONE to say "43 years six months" :!: :!: :!:

PS PARDEW OUT!!!!!
  10. katej

katej Member

I actually meant family disasters that arise when u have 4 kids!!

However since joining Wellington last year in Sept I have not missed a rehearsal. I spent 6 hours rehearsing with them today in fact.
  11. Trigger

Trigger Member

Well that told me eh! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Yep that looks about right. But considering that these two rehearsals are the only rehearsals that I have missed in my seven or so years of brass banding, I'm not too disappointed in myself. Especially when you consider that some people miss band because of Eastenders or other equally appalling excuses. I even took a job that means I have to get up at 5am in the morning so that it doesn't conflict with evening rehearsals and weekend band jobs. Now that's commitment -especially for a student!! :? :wink:
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I can't match that ('cos I'm not old enough), but depending on your definition of "holiday" I can honestly say I have never missed band without a cast-iron reason (death in the family, holidays, can't-move-without-my-head-falling-off-migraines, etc!), not even in the middle of exams, and I've been banding for over 25 years now.

Ouch - just made myself feel well ancient! :shock:
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

September 1984 through July 1991, missed nothing. Took a leave of absence in 1991, came back to the band in September 1998, have missed one gig since (in October 2000, because of a work commitment).
  14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well that would be 7 years now... unfortunately, only being 19, and only having started playing at the age of 10, the whole 43 years thing would be a bit tough... ask me in 36 years!!

TIMBONE Active Member

the moon

I usually miss rehearsals when there's a full moon, if I am playing trombone, the hairs on the palm of my right hand get stuck in the slide. If I am playing BBb, I try to eat it, and the band can't afford a new BBb.
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I missed a band engagement to offer my support to other bands at the regionals this year... :roll: well, we were only given a weeks notice for the concert, and I probably would have been working anyway if I hadn't asked for the day off already!! :D

My attendance wasn't too bad last year though...
  17. Will the Sec

Accidental said:

This is an acceptable reason for missing band, though I made sure my granny's funeral was not on band day...

So... it's still May 1988, then?
  18. Despot

Despot Member

October 1979. Never missed practise unless I absolutely had to.
  19. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

In my old band (Shropshire Youth Brass) I went 3.5 years without missing a rehearsal ... until my local choral society had a concert the day of a rehearsal, and I had to miss the rehearsal to perform ... and after that up until the end of my 4th year - none again!

Unfortunately, for various reasons my record hasn't been as good this year for my differing bands ... but with the uni wind orchestra I have yet to miss one and uni brass band I have missed just the single this (academic) year...
  20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Crikey folks - I thought I was a committed bandsman but reading some of the posts here has made me feel quite inadequate!

The last time I missed a rehearsal, given the criterion was two and a half years ago when I missed the rehearsal after a contest to see Dyke in concert. It was a good job actually because we were pants at the contest so I missed out on the subsequant rollocking :D :D