Ultrabreathe

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

do these things work ?

www.ultrabreathe.com

i have seen a few for sale on ebay and i can't see how they could make much difference.

FG

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Steven Mead seems to think so. You might like to look at this:

http://www.euphonium.net/ultrabreathe.html

So far as E-Bay is concerned, from a hygiene point of view I don't think I'd want to buy a second-hand one, although I realise some people on E-bay sell new items.

G.

3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

the whole point of these things is that they provide resistance to blowing, thus increasing the aerobic capacity of your lungs by strengthening the muscles used. In turn this leads to greater 'blowing power', and of course the support it adds to your playing may increase range, stamina and ability.

I just blow backwards through my mouthpiece using my hands to obstruct the air, and thus changing the resistance. Much cheaper!

4. megga

megga New Member

I'm sure these things do work provide you use them regularly enough. I bought one quite a while ago now and used it about twice. It's just sooooooo boring! And you like a right prat, so I'd say don't bother buying one.

5. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

in the long run it will help. but if your not dedicated enough to do it everyday then its a waste of money. All depends if you want to improve your playing!!

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Same could be said for practise in general :)

I know of several US military band brass players who used to use a sort of homemade contraption for the same purpose. As they were already very good players it's hard to tell how much difference it made, but they all said that it improved playing stamina, especially in situations where they were in less-than ideal conditions (on the march, high heat, etc.)

7. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I havent tried one myself but there is a guy at uni who swears by it. said it has helped him with sound, range and can now generally play for longer without having to breath. a good buy i'd say.

8. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

How very very odd, I was wondering the exact same thing this morning and considering posting to find out what people thought (I forgot)!

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I believe Mr Seedhouse uses one and loves it... I've thought about buying one, but have to wait till I have some money...

10. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

I have had a Ultrabreathe for just short of 12 months. I use approx 3 times a week.
    Yes it definately does help.
    I play one of those things that sits at the back, and does not belong on a keyring fob, and it has definately increased both stamina and breathing technique..

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    www.ultrabreathe.com
    Ultrabreathe
    ca
    sale
    ebay
  12. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

If you can sort out the medical jargon this article from the School of Health Care Professionals makes convincing arguments for the use of such devices even in healthy people and it's easy to see how this would overall improve brass playing efficiency.

They used the POWERBreathe product in their research.

HTH

Cheers, Greg.

13. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

... I sure do! :D :rolleyes:

In terms of the Ultrabreathe, I can highly recommend it. It works on the principle of building up resistance when you breathe in and out, (easily adjustable to suit the user) stretching and exercising your diaghramatic muscles so that you can take bigger, fuller breaths which will obviously benefit your playing.
    When I started using it, I felt the benefits immediately and around a year later I am able to play far longer phrases, and has also helped me expand my range.
    Although it may seem expensive for what it is, (at around £17 for a new one) i'd have happily spent far more than that if I was aware of how much I would have benefited from it.
    Without efficient breathing us brass players are doomed- especially lower brass! ;)