UK Banding - Yesterdays People... Yesterdays Ways...??

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[IMGLEFT][/IMGLEFT]UK Banding - Yesterdays People... Yesterdays Ways...??

OK, here goes... my first tMP Article submission.

Many fantastic subjects are talked about and discussed on tMP every day of the week; from the subjective nature of adjudication through to promotion of bands in the media etc. I always read tMP threads with interest - especially those where today's topical banding issues are being healthily debated, so I thought why not bring some of them into a single article, together with my thoughts and opinions (with a few others thrown in for good measure from some more noteable characters than I!) which I hope, will stimulate further interesting debate?

Here it is, comments most welcome...:)
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Nice bit of work there John. loads of valid points there...
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Well done, John.

I was very surprised to learn that having adjudicators dictate comments throughout a performance is just coming into the brass band world. Schools in the US have county and state festivals which, although not "competitions", are adjudicated, and they've been using such a system (at least in my home state) for at least 25 years.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some very interesting points and one to maybe add to all this ... The UK has been going through a major culture change during the last decade or so and various social processes rooted in Victorian times have been experiencing rapid decline. The emphasis has moved away from group activity to that of the individual and it's consequences has been felt not just in the brass band movement but other areas as well. As an example, think of clubs or organisations (that started during the Victorian era) that still had popularity during the '60s/'70s but now are experiencing difficulties in terms of membership and funding. One prime example is the Cub/Scout movement. Why do you think it was important, then, to keep people together? Was it mainly for social gathering, bonding or more than just this? During the Medieval times, the Church was used to keep people together and to give forms of communication, religious or otherwise. This was maintained until the Industrial Revolution when people were forced off the land to the towns, cities & factories. It was at this time when a major breakthrough in tracing disease was also found ... epidemiology! It was only after this that we find sport, hobby (including music) and social groups being formed with major support from the Government and eminent businessmen. Law and order was a major concern in the growth of towns and cities and I don't think it was a coincidence that we found a rapid growth of new and 'popularised' activities that required membership. The middle and upper classes still maintained their hobbies that were more exclusive and usually out of reach to the working masses ... (I'll stop here!)

My point, simply put, is that brass bands (like many other activities), popularised, practised during Victorian Times and maintained throughout most of the 20th Century has served it's political purpose as a means of tracing movements of individuals in the pursuit of maintaining law & order. With technological changes enabling easier identification and tracking (credit cards, internet usage etc.), the support for group membership has been allowed to decline and is reflected in Government funding.

This contraversial viewpoint is solely mine and I did a fair bit of research that I unfortunately lost (... grrrrr! never backed up my work when my pooter crashed) and again in process of collecting. Not something that the authorities are going to freely admit, and difficult to get concrete proof!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  5. Not very important in the context of your message, but strictly as a matter of record, the Boy Scout Association was formed in 1908, with the Cub Scouts starting in 1916. History isn't my strongest point, but I reckon that makes the Scouts the product of an Edwardian era, and the cubs the product of the Georgian era. Neither are from the Victorian era.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The Victorian Era can officially be seen to end in 1901 with the death of the monarch, and yes, the Scout Movement was formed in 1908 and funded by Millionaire Chicago publisher William Dickson Boyce in 1910 ... but these same principles that set up many things in the Victorian period could not be seen to end dramatically at the turn of the century. My point regarding organisations such as the scouts, guides, boys brigade or whatever have more to do with teaching principals of morality, team discipline and other aspects than can be observed and controlled by others. The fact alone that such a kid can be located at a time and place with that group is of substantial benefit to authorities seeking information about crime/medical reference.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think the idea of using technology effectively is important. I think many bands have benefited from the use of a proper website, etc...

Some of those that haven't used them properly are feeling the greater hits....especially with the youngins bein' all computer savvy & what not
  8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

What an absolutely cracking article! Well done John, You have obviously put in alot of work on this

It raises some very interesting points.

The use of recording equipment is a brilliant idea, what better way can there be to give us all a more accurate adjudication at contests.

I surpose the next question is how do we go about implementing change?

Is there a body of people that we need to lobby to get things changed?

Is there a better way?
    perhaps we need to speak to one of the bigger contests and try to get them to start looking at ways of making change. perhaps Pontins, Butlins etc could be contacted and asked about this.

Perhaps a tmp contest could be introduced, a contest were we can use this technology and show the area comitees etc how well it could be done.

Anybody else know how we can change things?