Uckfield Concert Brass - the end is nigh

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by andywooler, Oct 24, 2006.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Having spent too long trying to hold the band together, the AGM for Uckfield Concert Brass, scheduled for 5th December is destined to be the last.
    One final attempt to drum up support locally is to be made via the local press over the weeks ahead - in the event that there are insufficient new recruits the committee will be starting the process of winding up the affairs of the band.
    If there are any players in East Sussex who could get involved to save the band, I would ask you to contact me as soon as possible. (email: andy@awooler.demon.co.uk)

At its peak, the band qualified twice in the 90's for the Nationals Second Section finals, one of those appearances was as winners of the regional contest.

2. Hoss

Hoss Member

Good luck Andy - hope the call to arms has the desired effect. It would be a shame for another community to lose a band..

3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Andy,
    having witnessed this type of happening is there not another local band that also doesn't get a full compliment? Maybe a merger is an option? I know there are always people that frown upon such things but surely one full band is better than two that are always short?

4. andywooler

We have explored that with no success - we also have the challenge of being a Charity which brings some additional issues around what can and can't be done with band assets. Our nearest neighbours already have an excess of players!

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Can't they send their excess in your direction then? :confused:

Hope you get this sorted out Andy.

6. postie

postie Member

It is a great shame when these things happen Bestwood in 1997 got down to six but recovered and we now have a near full band. Good luck Andy I hope people do get the message and come down and try and save the band.

7. rikster

rikster New Member

Hi Andy,
    I am truly sorry that the demise of Uckfield is nigh, I have enjoyed many nights of rehearsal there under various MDs including yourself, and have always been happy to help out when I could as have the many members of LGB. Best wishes to everybody and with luck maybe something good can happen. Dick.

8. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Thats really sad news Andy. No-one likes to hear that. Its such a shame. Had a good time there many moons ago when my dad was conducting.

All the best to you and Eddy

9. Bungle

Bungle Member

So Andy, what happened at the AGM? I heard via Bob Turner you might be getting Steve Mac in to conduct or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

10. andywooler

The really good news is that 2 exceptional talents have decided to help us rebuild the band. Steve McIntyre - some of you will know him from his days with Faireys, is taking up the baton and Marcus Plant - one of the South's finest cornet players is taking on the PC chair. The arrival of Steve & Marcus signals a new beginning for the band and if you know these two and are not currently playing in a band, then come on down!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Uckfield Concert Brass
    East Sussex
    band qualified
    appearances
    weeks
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

Great news. I know Marcus, as he is my daughters peri teacher and I am very envious of you. I have also got to admire his dedication, as I know he is very busy as head of the music center and there are plenty of established bands he could have joined. Hopefully he can bring some of his pupils along, so they won't be lost to brass playing once they have left school

You have failed to mention that you rehearse in a pubs' function room and that the pub sells championship winning Harveys beer. That should get them down in droves.

What night are you rehearsing now?

13. andywooler

Indeed - Harvey's Sussex Bitter and Brass - what a combination!

Tuesday nights at the Alma Arms in Framfield Road

14. Horns in France

Horns in France New Member

Hi Andy.,
    have managed to get logged on and would like to wish you and all at Uckfield Concert Brass the very best best with Steve Mac, he most certainly is a very dedicated person,an eye for detail,and a rye smile to go with it, great too that Marcus is back as principle. We will be back in the UK late October for a couple of weeks so will be able to call in have a chat, a listen and maybe a pint as well. Very best of luck to you and all stalwarts, you deserve the break for all the hard times that you have endured.
    Best wishes George Ball ( Horns in France )

15. andywooler

Great to find you on here at last Monseur Ball!

There is a buzz around the bandroom at the moment - we look forward to seeing you soon - I assume you are coming over for the nationals?

Andy

16. Horns in France

Andy., it's all such good news for you all , perhaps you and Eddy especially as you have been such pillars during these fragile times and it will good to see the smiling faces in the band room and feel the 'buzz' again. The visit is our half term/ pre Christmas visit. Anyway enjoy whats happening and will be there soon.
    George.

17. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

HI andy. Thats great to hear things are happening for you. 'Onwards and upwards'. Say hi to Stevie Mac and my word-thats a blast from the past - George Ball - bet he doesn't remember me!!

All the very best

xx

18. les

les Member

Hi Andy - Good to hear things are going well for you and Eddie.
    The Alma Arms is a blast from the past as is George Bull, and Steve McIntyre! OMG - He gave me the odd lesson when I was down that part of the world - Say Les Webb says hello..if he remembers me!

My Band Eccles are going well...Currently have enough cornets to fill nearly 2 bands!

Maybe one day when I 'm in the area, I'll pop in to see how you guys are!

Take Care - Say hello to George as well if he remembers me.

Any idea what became of Maria Gladman? She maried but then I lost touch

Cheers

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band
    07740 864676

19. andywooler

Well, I was a little late getting to Uckfield last night but to go through the door and see 22 people there is something that hasn't happened for many many years!
    Marie is still up your neck of the woods - I think Paul, her husband, may be on here somewhere.

20. Horns in France

Well Lynda, Oh yes he does is your answer , and he even remembers meeting you at the Cambridge Masters in 1993. Great to hear of you/see you photo as well.Great that you are still playing and read about Boobs and Brass great stuff eh ! All these messages are bringing back some lovely memories, Mum Dad and National Finals. Stay in touch, and who knows may even meet again at a band function sometime. French Open perhaps , its a good but busy week-end in Amboise, on the Loire river.
    All best wishes
    George ( Horns in France ) Ball.

21. Horns in France

Good to hear you are out there too Les, doing your bit on the conducting front , wish you well with your band.
    George ( Horns in France ) Ball.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Uckfield Concert Brass
    East Sussex
    band qualified
    appearances
    weeks