Two valved DEG trumpet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet Nev., Nov 30, 2012.

1. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

As the title suggests, I have recently been handed a trumpet with only two valves, one of which requires a spring. Made by DEG with the Dynasty name. It has two water keys which require new cork seals and quite a length of tube. With some pressure on the keys to minimise the air loss, the lowest open note appears to be a "G".
    Any one have any information as to its uses and also range, in fact any and all information will be appreciated.
  2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

US Marching bands use (or used to use ) them. G was a common key for these I believe.
  3. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

One of these?

(Putting "DEG Dynasty 2 Valve Trumpet" into your favourite search engine should provide plenty info, including fingering)
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  4. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Sounds like a "G Soprano Bugle" as used by US Drum and Bugle Corps (and quite a few UK ones as well).

They have gone out of favour in recent years as the Corps have converted to a Bb & F instrumentation (Bb Trumpets, Baritones, Euphoniums and Contra Basses and F Mellophones), but there are still a few around, especially in the UK.

The key of the Soprano Bugle is the Concert G below the Bb of the Cornet/Trumpet, although the upper range can be well into the upper end (and above!) of the Eb Soprano Cornet in the hands of an expert player.

Music is/was generally written as transposed treble clef in the same way as Brass Bands do, so that the bottom C as written sounds Concert G (Bottom A 2 ledger lines down for Cornet). I say generally, as some US Corps did write the Contra Bass parts in Bass Clef transposed to G! :)

2-valve G Bugles in general were written for so that the music rarely dropped below a written 2nd line G, such that the problem of only having 2 valves does not act as an impediment. The 2-valve Bugle was part of an evolution of the US Cavalry Bugle from a non-valved G Bugle, through a 1-valve, a Piston and Rotor valved and 2-valve to a 3-valve Bugle, which has now given way to the Bb and F instrumentation.

Between us, my brother and I own, or have marched (with UK Bands and Corps) Piston/Rotor, 2- and 3-valve Soprano, 2-valve Mellophone, Piston/Rotor and 2-valve Baritone and Piston/Rotor and 2-valve Contra Bass Bugles in G.

5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I allways said that 3rd valve was surplus !!!
  6. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Thanks very much folks for the information so far. Tubadaz, I think your description is the closest match, as the low G is below the B flat.
    I had an inkling it would be an American marching band instrument, the big clue being the maker of course.
    Next job now is get the thing playable, new corks for the water keys and a spring for the first valve.
    It is in beautiful condition with no dents anywhere and a bright silver finish, which I suspect may be chrome rather than silver.
  7. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

When you're running around a football field, any weight that can be got rid of is a bonus! :)

If it's bright silver (and being a DEG Dynasty it should be bright) it'll be chrome plated, if it's a duller silver (sometimes with a hint of yellow!) it'll be nickel plated.

Back in the day, our Scout Band in York (no longer in existence) had a few DEG Dynasty 2-valve G Sopranos, similar to the one in FlugelD's link, as well as some from other US manufacturers, including Kanstuhl and Olds.

8. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

thanks for the link and search idea's, it worked just fine and I know now how it is fingered.
    It is Chrome, and by the offers for that one on E Bay, I did well paying only £20 for it. I have a few friends who know I collect odd, not necessarily good, just odd, brass instruments. This one good friend saw it on a boot sale, offered the twenty and got it. Good to have great friends isn't it?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

For any one with further interest I now have photo's of it, similar but in better condition than the one for sale on E Bay, here-