Two tier contests.....here's an idea

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simon Preshom, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

When thinking about the Butlins Championship Section, or any other two tier contest (European is another)....I got to thinking, what about announcing the results of each discipline after it has finished?
    Imagine Butlins or the European, the set test has finished and everyone knows the result of the 'first round'. It increases the interest in the next day...there will be a buzz about that top band who is a little off the pace, or that unknown who snook into the frame undetected. Bands and audience know exactly what the state of play is and all it serves to do is increase the level of drama in the 'second and final round'.

What do we think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    European
    Butlins
    Butlins Championship Section
    buzz
    audience
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

How about 4 experienced and knowledgable judges give their opinions after each band. However they count for nothing and there is a phone vote by the public!

Seems to work so well elsewhere!;)

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If anything, I think the present system tends to add to the tension, simply because nobody knows the exact standings of the bands. With the Europeans especially, there have been several instances where the opinions in the the hall - and online :eek: - have been at great divergence with the places allotted by those in the box, which has made for some real surprises when the final results are announced.

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Then unless it was REALLY close the bottom 6, or 10, or however many bands, would know that barring a miracle they were out of the running. So it would increase the tension for bands at the top, sure, but would drain the motivation from the bands at the bottom, I would imagine. Takes a big heart to give 100% on the second day knowing you were in last place after the first day.

I suppose the obvious way around this would be to announce ONLY the bands in the prizes at the end of day 1 or round 1. That way everybody else potentially could be just outside the frame and has something to play for on day 2.

6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

THE STRICTLY COME BANDING FACTOR!!! Love it!!!!
    And here are the judges.......:clap: :guiness:roll::ranting2:

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Much as I enjoy it, I can't say I've ever come banding.........

8. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

:clap: Made me laugh out loud

9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Actually with hindsight it does all sound a bit messy really.......
    Maybe the strictly gone banding factor is better.....just!;)