Twenty20 Cricket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by LeDragon, Jun 30, 2006.

1. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Anybody else into this? I think it's brilliant!
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Yep, and as I'm not playing anymore, I'm getting to see some of it!

Shame it seems to be mostly overseas players starring at the moment, though....

IYOUNG Member

Just back from the 20/20 match at Lords seeing the Spitfires beat the Crusaders

Crowd of 20,000 marvellous stuff
  4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Going up to Headingley a week tomorrow to watch my first live 20/20 - can't wait!
  5. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Been watching it on the tele when the programme schedulers can manage to squeeze it in between hours of Big Brother, The Mint and dramas that no-one actually watches anymore. I think it's great. Also watched the 'classic' version the other day with ngland players like Chris Lewis, and Robin Smith amongst the lineup. Outstanding stuff.

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Cricket does nothing for me I'm afraid, not even when we won the Ashes recently. Each to their own I guess.

@ Will: why not playing anymore? I thought this was the only thing above banding for ya?
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Cricket is a GREAT GAME full stop played it and was a member of Warwickshire County Cricket Club till 3 years ago till they put up the memebership some what by a large amount but go and see the odd sunday game if not out with band:clap:
  8. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

The Somerset v. Gloucester game on SKY the other day was awesome ! 250 in 20 overs, some super hitting.......two big scores from overseas batsmen!! :tup
  9. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

It was brilliant wasn't it - 118 from Cameron White I think - It was the highest ever 20/20 score by a team. If you were in that crowd you couldn't take your eye off the match for fear of getting a 6 shot in the head!!
  10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Justin Langer's innings really suprised me too, I'm not used to seeing him play like that!!
  11. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Yeah, he's not normally slogging them round like that is he!!
  12. Will the Sec

Justin Langer started out as a biffer on a par with Darren Lehmann. He changed his style (and added an 'r' to his name so people pronounced his name right) when he realised there were six or seven people figiting for two spots in the Aussie line up. The change of style made him a candidate for an opening berth, and he made it his own.

I had no doubts that if put into a Twenty20 game his technique and experience would make him a worthy addition to any team.

Having said that, Ronnie Irani's knock on Friday night should see him straight into the Twenty20 world cup team. Absoultely awestriking.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  13. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Is that a word? Some really good bowling in the Leicestershire v. Lancashire game the other day, what a supreb finish that was. Even Glamorgan seem to be doing ok with a bit of help from their Kiwi friends. It is a very viewer friendly form of the game and can only be good for the publicity of the game as a whole. :)
  14. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Too right :clap:

What I also like about Twenty20 is the way the commentators are linked up to the fielders and umpires and can speak to them individually when they want - definitely adds a different dimension to the game.
  15. Will the Sec

It is whenyour space barsuffers from intermittent effectiveness
  16. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Yeah, Lancs winning it on the last ball with a 6! Shame they've lost to Durham since then - that's two losses out of three for the tournament favourites!
  17. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Can't get interested in twenty-twenty. Much prefer 4 or 5 day matches. Think the introduction of things like international 20-20 is worrying as surely TV companies will put on pressure to have more of that and less tests.
  19. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Glamorgan still going strong.......they can't be dreadful at every form of the game!!:) Suprised that Warwickshire beat Somerset though!!
  20. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

True, however, Twenty20 does make cricket more accessible to those who find watching cricket "like watching paint dry"