TV themes for brass band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brian Kelly, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Following on from the "Buffy in Brass" thread, are there any more TV themes that people would like to see arranged for brass band which haven't been done yet?

You never know, it might spark off some ideas for one or more of our TMP arrangers.

Here are a few suggestions to start things off:

The Money Programme (with a great low down and dirty bass trombone part)

The Simpsons

Star Trek Enterprise (I think all the other Star Trek series have been done)

Film 2003 (soon to be Film 2004)
  2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The Simpsons has already been done by a very good friend of mine... Chris North. Don't know where he got it published though.
  3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Have to agree about the Money Programme, but Star Trek Enterprise? The tunes awful, you7 need majestic pomp for Star Trek not whiny Russell Watson. Think Diagnosis Murder would be quite good.
  4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Just a couple of suggestions

For TV theme I would love to see 'Hand Bags and Glad Rags' from The Office done for brass band.

Not a tv theme but I reckon that the Darkness's Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end) will become a classic like Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody and Wizard's I wish it could be Christmas. Somebody out there should arrange it. They will have a whole year to make a good job of it and it will be topical again year after year.
    Come to think of it how about a medley of the three above with all the pop xmas hits - Wham's last Christmas, Mud's lonely this Christmas, Do they know its Christmas, Fairy tale of new york.
  5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I was thinking of doing Fairytale of New York and the Darkness song too - what do folks think?

Rach x
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i think fairytale of new york could be cool.

the darkness one would be a bit tough (octave leaps for his random falsetto bursts??)

i've played the simpsons theme tune, it's pretty cool! Lots of accidentals, and offbeats though, which hurt my head!

anyone fancy arranging the countdown theme as a short perc solo item?
  7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

TV themes?? What about Neighbours?? can't go wrong with a classic! :p

Big fan of all Star Treks, including Enterprise. Battlestar Galactica? Stargate? Cheers??

I know as a movie theme, I'd love to see 1941 by John Williams done (hint hint, wink wink nudge nudge!)
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Already arranged by Steve Sykes.

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My husband's been on at me for weeks to post on here about getting the theme to The West Wing arranged. There, I've done it!

Interesting comments about the Star trek themes - I've yet to hear a good arrangement of any of them!
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The Simpsons also appears in Andy Duncan's arrangement of Cartoon Classics.

I think maybe some of these have been done, but I would like to see arrangements of

Bless me Father (which was originally performed by the PJBE)
    Lost in Space
    An arrangement of Star Wars with the original opening fanfare.
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Stingray" has been done, by Sandy Smith.

I reckon Laurie Johnson's theme for "The Avengers" (TV, not the travesty of a film version) would go well, although I could imagine the bass trombone players would be cursing!
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I applied for copyright some time ago for this one, but I didn't receive a reply.
    Maybe I should chase it up.

13. davidsait

davidsait Member

We got asked for this whilst out carolling this year. Any chance of getting it printed in a size suitable to paste into the back of the SA red books? :)
  14. davidsait

davidsait Member

Thats a good idea - would go down very well indeed at the moment I think.
  15. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Battlestar Galactica and a few Star Treks have been done by Leigh Anthony-Phillips, not sure where he got them published by I remember proof reading/playing them for him at Mid Rhondda
  16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

So, if they're done all my suggestions, why aren't bands out playing them constantly???? :evil: :x

Seaquest? Has it been done? What about Sam and Dave's Soul Man???? (Theme from Dan ackroyd's attempt at sitcom-dom)
  17. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

How about the Scooby Doo theme tune?

It's a classic!
  18. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

This has already been arranged by Andy Duncan.
  19. Steve

Steve Active Member

Hello there Robin, glad to see you are on here at last!! Hows life at Travelsphere? Everything falling into place for 2004 I hope. All the best, Steve March
  20. Di B

Di B Member

Looking (very briefly!) into all the music out there and copyrights etc etc there were a couple of tunes I thought would be good for brass band.... (although a hint to anyone out there - a simple arrangement playable by a training band would be ideal! :lol: )

Blackadder, Red Dwarf and The Vicar of Dibley - both by the talented Howard Goodall. No idea who the publisher is though!

The first two are not ideally suited to brass band but could be great cheesy pieces that are fun to play! The Vicar of Dibley could be pretty good though I reckon.

Also, I know that its really old now, but the theme from Men Behaving Badly would have been a fun piece to play...

Just thinking of popular tv series - has only fools and horses been done yet?