TV influences in school

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

My son came home from school the other day, he's 15yrs, and told me that his IT teacher had said to him that there will be extra lessons on a Saturday morning that he should go to. I asked him what he had said back to the teacher and his reply was, "I checked on the computer and turned to him and said 'the computer says No'" !!

Well I know I shouldn't, but i couldn't help laughing! Unfortunately, the teacher didn't get it and looked very puzzled at this response. Luckily he didn't 'reprimand' my son.

Have any of you had kids that have taken the 'influences' of TV into school?

2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Must be something about Doncaster. 'Computer says no' is their favourite at the moment. Also 'Ask me if I'm bothered'

3. flower girl

flower girl Member

my brother's tutor called him stupid so he replied with, "i may be stupid but YOU ARE SUMMING ELSE!!!" so my mum got a phone call home.

4. me and my friend nicola were prefects at our old school and we got bored alot and whenever someone wanted to come in to the door we were at id say computer says no and shed do a huge mingin cough in their face!!!! it was soo fun!!! if anyone at college says yeah but, the teacher is sure to say yeah but no but!!! i think its just little britain has this effect on people!!

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Not at school, but I started a particularly annoying trend of sweeping things of peoples desks to the sound of

Eeergh eeergh EEeeeeerghhhh!!!

It's hilarious until someone does it back. :mad:

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yeah ah no or I wan that one.

7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

As long as you don't go over the top and start making "brown" paintings :eek:

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At the risk of sounding really ancient, in my day it was more the radio catch-phrases that made it into school - "I'm sorry I'll read that again", "Round the Horne" & "The Goon Show", although Monty Python, and especially the Spanish Inquisition sketches, began to take hold.

9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

One of my friends does all the little britain stuff and am I bothered. So its pretty funny sitting next to her in English cause she has conversations with the person next to her who is also obsessed with little britain. Dont think the English teacher likes it though :tongue: Saying that she has a poster saying 'Yeh but no but' on it :D

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

:confused: i have no kids but you would not get me going to school on a saturday

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    school
    TV influences
    extra lessons
    Saturday morning
    teacher
  12. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

What bothers me is that it doesn't just influence schoolage kids. I was driving home today, on my own, minding my own business, and out of the blue, I start saying " I'm not bovered, look at my face, do I look bovered? I'm not bovered.

13. 2nd man down

Ye Gods Tim! Speaking to yourself in the car??? You know the next step is the men in the white coats arrive to take you to a comfy room don't you?!? :rolleyes:

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

I think thats why characters like the little britain and katherine tate ones become so popular. They are so applicable and relevant to our daily lives that they are always there in the back of your mind. The ability to relate is the key to comedy though so its no wonder the best comedies are taken into everyday life as that is generally where they came from.

15. (slightly off topic)

Is anyone else absolutely bored to death of people constantly using these little phrases from Little Britain? At first, it was funny, then it reached sniggerable occassionally, and now it just either bores me or drives me mad. It's just not funny anymore!! That STUPID "yeah a know" remedial has a lot to answer for!!

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

100% agree, but still find myself unknowingly dropping them into conversations :(

17. BOB_

BOB_ Member

im the same "yea a no" just comes out but its still annoying

18. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry)

19. ok, blatantly not on my own then!

20. 2nd man down

But that's the same with everything isn't it?? Not everyone will have seen these programmes as long ago as you obviously did to be bored of them already, and they still find them funny.

21. I havent ever really been into Little Britain, so no. And surely the catch phrases (which are what drive me mad!) started when the actual programme started - not when people started watching it?! I've probably watched something like 5 of them. The showing on plain, boring, non-digital, standard 5 channels TV has always clashed with my social life!!

I do find Little Britain amusing - I don't find listening to catch phrases from it everywhere I go amusing. That is all. Feel free to enjoy it yourself though!! I was simply asking if I'm on my own in finding it rather tedious which, judging by the few posts which followed, I'm obviously not!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    school
    TV influences
    extra lessons
    Saturday morning
    teacher