TV Big Band favourite to play a concert in Consett this weekend

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Strictly8, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Strictly8

Strictly8 New Member

Durham Brass Initiative presents:

A Durham Brass Festival media opportunity...

TV Big Band favourite to play a concert in Consett this weekend as part of the Durham Brass Festival

On Saturday evening (24 June) brass music favourite Andy Prior will bring his "Big Band Crazy" tour to the Empire Theatre, Consett as part of this year's Durham Brass Festival. Prior and his 15-piece big band will be playing classics from the repertoire of Count Basie, Nelson Riddle, Glen Miller and Duke Ellington.

Andy Prior's latest tour comes hot on the heels of his television series entitled Andy Prior's Big Band Show (ITV Granada) - Prior can proudly boast that his TV programme was one of the first big band shows to by televised on British television in over 30 years.

Tickets are priced £14 / £12 (concs) and can be purchased from the Empire Theatre, Consett box office - 01207 218 171.

Also taking place this Saturday evening as part of the Durham Brass Festival:

Saturday 24 June, 6pm (for a 6.30pm start), Tickets: £8 / £4 (concs) / £3 (students) / £1 (under 18’s)

Palace Green, Durham City (Tickets available by calling 0191 332 4041)

This exciting concert combines the skills of two of our most popular bands, the Reg Vardy Band and Fishburn Brass Band, under the direction of conductor Ray Farr the concert will take place in a marquee in front of Durham's historic jewel - Durham Cathedral. The Durham Brass Festival always puts considerable emphasis on premiering and commissioning new work, this evening will showcase three pieces that were newly written and commissioned especially for the Festival: “Three Quayside Portraits” and “Nocturne from a Midsummer Night’s Dream” by Tom Glendinning and “The Round Table in the Oval Office” by Craig Farr.

The Reg Vardy Band are currently the Brass Band in Residence at the University of Durham.

Ray Farr's daughter, Natalie - will be the guest vocal soloist during the show. Natalie talks about singing alongside her father on Saturday evening. She said: "We've shared a stage several times in my life and it's always great fun. I think that we manage to be professional and look past the family ties until the job's done. I really enjoy working with him because he knows how to handle a singer as well as a band."

Natalie continues: "I hope the audience will enjoy the variety of the programme. The songs that I'll be singing vary greatly - hopefully brass band fans will enjoy the more conventional music like 'Riverdance' and 'Age of Kings', and a newer audience will love the arrangements of 'On my Own' and 'Somewhere over the rainbow'. There's something here for everyone."

The Durham Brass Festival is a Durham Brass Initiative project. Durham City Arts is the lead member of the Durham Brass Initiative that looks to respond to the needs of professional and amateur musicians in a region known for its rich tradition of brass band playing and music making.

The Festival runs through until 30th July for further details please call Durham City Arts on (0191) 3750763 or to see a full programme of events please visit
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006