Tutti Cornets required Oxon/Bucks area!!

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by davethetuba, Dec 23, 2003.

1. davethetuba

davethetuba Member

City of Oxford, recently third place at Leamington Spa, are in need of a couple of back row cornet players to complete the line up for next years area in March. If you are in the Oxon/Bucks area and fancy a blow with a Championship section band then please contact me, Mobile: 07895526399 Home: 01494637821, or contact band manager Ed Clarke mobile:07764616290.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I see you've had about as much response to your advert for players as i have - NONE !

Where are all the cornet players in this neck of the woods ?

I think that every band i know locally (you, us, Towcester, Stonesfield are all looking for cornets)

3. davethetuba

davethetuba Member

Think it is a south-east thing. A lot of children learn the trumpet these days, but in my day it used to be cornet, then change to trumpet. Ah well keep on pluggin away!!

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We've got them! After struggling since before I joined 3 years ago with woefully incomplete regular Cornet sections, we've now got pretty much a full section, albeit with some of them migrating students - weird, eh?

Now if anyone fancies playing 2nd horn? :wink:

Dave

5. stevetrom

How about a trade ?

We could loan you a horn if you could return the compliment with a cornet ? :lol:

6. davethetuba

davethetuba Member

I think we will need all our horn players for the area!! Perhaps we could organise a Massed bands concert for the bands around Oxford? Then we would be sure to have a full band.

7. MoominDave

In fact, I think we did borrow one of your horns for a contest - Pontins last year, I think - a chap called Des? Good player - good sound, good technique, although I wasn't entirely convinced by the shedloads of vibrato he was employing as a 2nd horn... Made a good section anyway - Jeff Raymont, Marilyn Elliot (nee Wolff) and him. Shame about the rest of us really!

Would you like a quiet or a loud cornet? They come in two distinct models!

By the by, Keith Whittingham gave me your phone number the other day when I was looking for a trom for an Oxford Symphony Orchestra concert - but someone rang back to confirm whilst he detained me chatting. Maybe some other time?

Dave

8. davethetuba

davethetuba Member

If you had been ringing me to ask me to play trombone I would have been very surprised as I am a tuba player :) Your band has always played well and I am sure it will continue to do so. A bit of local competition is good for the bands, and long may it remain so!!

9. MoominDave

Sounds like a job for the <tan-tan-tara> Oxfordshire and District Brass Band Association </tan-tan-tara>. Given the amount of difficulty they've had encouraging people to take in their events of late, I'm sure they'd be very grateful for any such suggestions and/or offers to organise... They used to do such things, but the last massed bands concert I remember was about 7 years ago, in the Exeter Hall in Kidlington, conducted by Goff Richards and Catherine Underwood (actually, she was probably still a Greenwood then), featuring Andy Flaxman as guest trombone soloist, absolutely creaming 'Czardas'.

An idea that keeps being suggested to me by Rob Marsh (1st trom at Aldbourne, and a very good player) is that all the local bands should pool their resources and send out a scratch band to some reasonably-prestigious-but-not-too-demanding-of-registration contest with the results (hopefully!) that a) Players would enjoy playing in a higher standard of ensemble and b) More established areas would note that there was some good playing going on round here. If it were centred on Oxford, one could pull in players from us, City, Stonesfield, Towcester, Brackley, Aldbourne, Swindon Pegasus (and Wantage have some good players, as do other lower section groups), as well as the myriad (or so I'm told) of ex Sun Life players now living in the Swindon area and not playing and any Army musicians interested and up-to-scratch.
    I think it's a sound idea in principle, but I wouldn't want to be the one organising it!

Dave

10. MoominDave

I was given Steve's number, not yours!

Thanks for the compliment - and I'll return it by saying that quite a few of us rated your conducting highly when you came to audition to fill in for Catherine's maternity leave. If you ever need deps for a job for City, do just ring.

Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bucks
    Ed Clarke
    Oxford
    Tutti Cornets
    Oxon
  12. stevetrom

A loud (and preferably tuneful) one please.

A massed band concert would be good but there may be some problems with band politics between some bands/players that would have to be overcome or sidestepped first - some dinosaurs with long memories in most bands.

13. MoominDave

A suitable loan can be arranged, I'm sure.

I don't think that there used to be any particular problem with the massed band concerts they used to run, other than getting through people's natural apathy; I can't think of any bands that deliberately failed to send representatives (there were no selection criteria), but then I was still at school and not really into the local band scene. I'm sure such things could be run again as successfully as before - I doubt they ever made any money though; I seem to recall the audiences being tiny.
    An auditioned band for contest purposes might well be a more contentious issue though; some people who one would want to involve would I'm sure not want to be involved with other people that one would want. Oh well, it's nice in principle.

It's strangely quiet around here... You'd think that people had something better to do at 9.15 a.m. on New Year's Day...

Dave