Tutor Books, which would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Crazysop, Jan 18, 2006.

?

Which set of tutor books would you buy??

1. Team Brass

40.7%
  2. Standards of Excellence

11.1%
  3. A Tune a Day Book

18.5%
  4. Other

37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I'm about to purchase a full set of tutor books for our beginners. Currently we have a couple of tune a days the odd Team Brass, the odd Standards of Excellence, and various other bits and bobs.
    I'd like a few recommendations before I part with huge dollops of hard earned money!

I'm currently thinking of buying the Standards of Excellence series, or Team Brass. However, I could be swayed!!!
    What would you buy? :biggrin:

2. 1alexm

1alexm Member

what instruments do your begginers plays?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

At the moment we have beginners on two cornets, three Tenor Horns and a Euph, there is a potential trombonist too. We could have potentialially beginners on the full range of brass band instruments,they just keep on walkin in, which is absolubtely fab!!!!!!!!

4. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I have had both Tune a Day and Team Brass. Team Brass is easier for beginners to follow.When my sister was learning clarinet at the music service they used Team Woodwind (same as Team Brass but Woodwind!! Lol Lol Lol!!!) She found it easier to follow than Tune a Day. In each Team Brass book there are some melodys which appear in each book (I think) so the players would be able to play them together.

5. starperformer

starperformer Member

Arban - no question. Start at page 1, and every time they make a mistake, start again from the beginning.

That'll learn them.

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

Definitely the arban, maybe the lafosse for trombone though.

It may be worth copying it (if not copyrighted) as sticking the whole thing infront of a beginner may scare the hell out of them

7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

The Arbon. Maybe more expensive but you won't need to buy another Tutor Book as they advance.

8. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

..or start them at the back and that will scare em off for good!!

I think tune a day is still a good start and not too daunting for a beginner. I can remember feeling a great sense of achievement when I finished the first Tune a Day book and my tutor moved me onto the next level up.

9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We do have a few arbans, but I have found generally they are a bit scary for the younger beginners!

10. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

When I 'started' back into it last summer, I picked up a copy of 'Standards of Excellence Baritone B.C.' book... and since my wife decided to dust off her Cornet, I picked up the 'Trumpet/Cornet book' as well. Both books have the same lessons/tunes/scales all located on the same pages and everything - the layouts were identical. I suspect it's the same for all instruments in the series, which might be helpful for a sizeable class.

Granted, having experience from long ago, I ripped through the book in about an hour (just to get used to it all again), but I thought they were great for beginners. Then again, I don't have the benefit of seeing the others.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Book 1
    Tutor Books
    Jock McKenzie Tutor Book
    Jock McKenzie Band Books
    good pace
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It depends on the players level I guess. I was taught on A Tune A Day, and once I finshed the first book was told to buy an Arban but not to worry about the anything other than the first couple of pages. For sure the Arban covers a lot of stuff most players will need as they prgress (I still you mine now), but I wouldn't shove a big thick book full of black notes in front of someone who can hardly play a C scale.

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We opted for team brass when we first started out setting up our junior band,we used these for 6 months but now have progressed and are playing better music i.e:Old Castle Suite-by Stewart Johnson etc.

14. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

essential elements 2000 ( Hal Leanold ) £6-95 includes CD-ROM and DVD, Available for brass, woodwind and strings all scored in such away that the books can be used for group playing what ever the combination of instruments as well as an individual tutor book,( very modern version of the tune a day type book ) most of the schools in this county use them as their teaching method, distributed from studio music

15. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Tongue in cheek, no doubt. Arban has its value, but it has many flaws, most of them associated with the fact that it was published 146 years ago, and apparently never updated. Many of its exercises are undoubtedly useful, ,but has many omissions, connected with the fact that it predates techniques, composers and trends prevalent in late 19th and 20th Century music - the interval of the fourth, irregular time signatures, high register work, multiphonics, jazz, Richard Strauss, Mahler, Stravinsky, serialism, Edward Gregson, Philip Wilby etc. etc. etc. If you are teaching kids to play brass instruments, you are going to have to accept the fact that some of them will not want to be tied down to brass bands for the rest of their life, and will want branch out into others areas - orchestral work, big bands, jazz bands etc. Tying them down to exercises designed to improve their performance of florid 19th Century air varie solos won't help them much in those respects.

However, the main reasons why I wouldn't recommend it for beginners are (a) that it makes no mention of the importance of warming up, and (b) that its first few pages, at least, are as dull as ditchwater, giving the learner no RECOGNISABLE TUNES to play, and generally guaranteed to turn off the aspiring youngster. Kids need learning music to be fun. Stick to Tune A Day, Sigmund Hering, John Ridgeon an so on. Later on, try John Miller's study book(s), and the Allen Vizzutti tutors. In my opinion of course.

As an aside, I've often wondered why Arban includes pages on 'tonguing for trumpet' (is there a difference between cornet and trumpet tonguing?) and then fails to provide a single example of anything from the trumpet repertoire of the day, even if it was only a snippet of the Haydn concerto.

16. piston

piston Member

Arban
    Dr. Charles Collins - lip flexibilities, copy a few exercises from it
    The Salvation Army - 101 technical exercises

17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I would say only because it has worked for my daughter who started when she was 5 years the Look, LIsten and Learn books they come with a CD and make it fun for the kids to play even if they can only play a couple of notes there are exercises in there with the CD backing and also someone playing in the back ground at the same pitch as the instrument you are learning on so you can hear what the notes or tunes should sound like V V Good My daughter is now 8 years and working towards her grade 4 and although I don't agree with grade without the help from the above book and her tutors Helen Walters and Mark Aldham she wouldn't have got anywhere near where she is now:tup

18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I have these for my school band, they are really good and the kids love them.

19. Tack7

Tack7 Member

I reckon The Arban is still excellent.

Simon

20. vonny

vonny Member

I think the Arban is an excellent scource as i use it quite a lot myself. However, as Lou mentioned it could be quite scary to a beginner. I think a good choice would either be Team Brass or A Tune a Day book.

Yvonne x

21. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Definitelty the Essential elements 2000 series for a mixed group. I use these with my mixed ability teaching groups and found them to work very well. The children like the software that comes on the DVD (Finale Notepad has provided them with hours of entertainment!)

The only downside to these books is that the Eb horn needs to play the right hand side higher pages to play the same as the Bb instruments which can go up to E

I also really like the Jock McKenzie Tutor Book for Young Brass Players as they have got companion ensemble books that have 8 little pieces in.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Book 1
    Tutor Books
    Jock McKenzie Tutor Book
    Jock McKenzie Band Books
    good pace