Tuning Triggers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GeordieSop, Sep 28, 2009.

1. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If Di has cash to spare, there's someone not too far away from her will look after it, and invest it carefully...;)

Anyway - Topic(ish) - petroleum products (ie valve oil and vaseline) buqqer slides - how often is the instrument cleaned?

Mine (10 years old, now) is done, faithfully, every equinox - deposits don't get the chance to build, and everything is tickety-boo...;)

2. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I am selective about where my money goes though.......

About what? No kiddies getting my money till I say so!!

Are we talking your wheelie bin? thought it wanted to be PM not chancellor of the exchequer. ;)

3. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Can we get back on topic paleease darlings! There was a nicely developing exchange about grease not long ago....

4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

people were talking about valaves and what they use for them. Mind you, if people did regular practice at home, they wouldn't need them. The only time I have to use them is after a two - three week holiday, and that's the only time I use valve oil!!!

NB Mind you, being a bass player, I don't have triggers. Hmm, there's a thought!!

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You do however have a fourth valve and a compensating system... Presumably...

So if people did regular practise, they wouldn't need valves... You might want to take a little more care with your parsing sometimes, BBM... I'm sure you meant to say that a lot of people oil their valves more often than is necessary?

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

You can just do it all by lipping things in if you practice enough. I haven't used any valves in ages.

7. MoominDave

That's because you're a bagpiper

8. worzel

worzel Member

Yeahbut, you've got when hell of a tuning throw.

9. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

is this BBM in disguise? ;)

10. brassbandmaestro

Is this a usurper?!?!?!?:eek: Can't have that!!

What i mean to say, Dave, was that if people practised regularly, anyway, I always found that i didn't need to put valve oil on!!

BTW, Andy, hope your ok after Folkstone!!

11. MoominDave

It depends how tight your valves are. We've got a Yamaha Maestro tuba on which the valves stick horribly if it is only left untended for a few days - they're made to very tight tolerances, and require careful lubrication.

12. brassbandmaestro

Hmmm, just as well I use one that the valves do not behave like that!!

13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

quite right there. Value oil can also make your values sticky if you put it on too regularly.

14. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I've found that with both Xenos I've had as well - they just drink oil.

15. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

That's interesting. I find with the Getzens I've used, I've rarely had to put on valve oil.

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Same is true of most Schilke valves as well. Very tight tolerances, and mine usually become sluggish and need clean oil every 2-3 days.

Evidently Renold Schilke used to boast of 0.001" tolerance, but his engineers privately said that in practice it was nearer to 0.002". They said they were capable of building to 0.001", but that it didn't work, because the pressure of the players hand-grip on the valve casing would cause the pistons to bind.

My old (vintage 1970's-ish) Bach Strad however will quite happily function for 6-8 weeks without re-oiling.

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... only if you don't thoroughly clean off the old oil first!

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It also depends a bit on how fussy you are. Personally, I have to have very fast reliable valves, but on occasions I've picked up instruments belonging to people who claim not to have to oil regularly, and rapidly discovered why they're not very good at semiquaver passages ... :eek:

19. MoominDave

That's not reliable though... I rarely have to oil my valves when I am playing my Sovereign euphonium regularly, and those who know my playing will vouch that semiquaver passages are not a problem...