Tuning Slides

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bassintheballroom, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Bassintheballroom

Bassintheballroom New Member

How does one go about telling a colleague that they're using the wrong slide as a tuning slide?

In my new (3rd section) band one of the bass players who I sit with is always sharp. Over a few weeks I noticed that whenever we're tuning she claims her slide is all the way out but she's still sharp. At the last rehearsal I watched what she was doing and she's using the 4th valve slide instead, while the tuning slide is all the way in. I'm a bit concerned about just saying something because I'm new to the band and I think she feels threatened with me being there. What's the best approach to take?

:confused:

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

ask for a shot of the instrument in a casual way, and fiddle with it. Maybe this person will notice what you're doing?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... get one of the bass team to slap her wrists! ;)

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

You show remarkable sensitivity for a bass player! Have a quiet word with the MD.

D

5. impycornet

impycornet Member

I didn't think tuning slides moved on Basses ??

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Harrrr ! .... life can be cruel sometimes! But playing an instrument and not knowing the location of tuning slides? I wonder what her general tuning is like when she uses the 4th valve? Ouch factor of 10!!

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Was at a rehearsal once when a cornet player was told he was slightly flat. "Shall I push in or push out?" quoth he. "Nay lad" the conductor responded, "push off".

D

8. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Cant believe your MD hasn't noticed shes using the wrong tuning slide!! I think you need to tell her, gently of course!!!

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

LMAO!! :clap:

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you gently pointed it out to either them or their MD.

10. Sparhawk

Sparhawk New Member

Post it on an Internet forum and hope she sees it? :wink:

Just a thought:confused:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    wrong slide
    valve slide
    band
    section
    Tuning Slides
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Quite right, we're always in tune, everybody else is flat or sharp :clap:

In response to the matter of the young lady, can I suggest that subtlety is a good way to approach this. I have found that some bass players, are extremely sensitive, when you suggest that they may be doing something slightly wrong, or just making a pig's ear of it.

Have a word in the MD's shell like and suggest that when the basses are tuning, that he/she stands near to you all, and politley suggests that the auxilliary tuning slide may need to be adjusted as well. When asked what this is show her the real thing and say that this should cure the problem of playing sharp :cool:

13. Laserbeam bass

LMAO

14. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Just Call Her A Silly Mare And Tell Her She's Pulling The Wrong Slide, Jokingly And In A Sensitive Kind Of Way.
    Then Ask Her If She Wouldn't Be Better Off Playing Tenor Horn.

15. Laserbeam bass

[​IMG]

16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Meaning? :mad: ;)

You could tell the MD then when your tuning up they can just say move the other one aswell or sumthing...

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just cos you're not good enough to play it!

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ooooh, think you touched a nerve there!

19. Bassintheballroom

Bassintheballroom New Member

Good advice. Mostly ;)

I think tipping off the conductor will be the way to go - after all it's his problem to make sure the band is in tune - I can't do better than stay in tune myself. Which is a challenge all of itself, but at least I know which slides to move :biggrin:

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Can someone show me before we start the rehearsal on Saturday :?: ;) :D

21. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Didn't say I was and I certainly couldn't my gob into a little mouthpiece like that!:eek:

All I meant was, by playing a Tenor Horn with only one main tuning slide, the confusion that seems to have arrisen in this case may well be avoided.;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    wrong slide
    valve slide
    band
    section
    Tuning Slides