Tuning slide on a euphonium

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by benjaminuk, Aug 9, 2009.

1. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

Where is the tuning slide on a euphonium? because i have been playing for 10 years and was told it was the slide on the back of the euphonium. However, the conductor at my brass band said it was the one on the front of the euphonium in the right hand side as you look at the euphonium. Which one is correct?

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Easy way to find out.

pull one of the slides all the way out and play a note. If you get a duff noise, that's the tuner.

If you can play a note on open but not on 4th (I'm guessing it usually the 4th people get mixed up with) it's your 4th.

3. winterman

winterman Member

Apparently, I was always told it was the big one at the back (which seems to be attached to the 4th), but some people have said the front.. but having never moved either (faked it) and just blown again it seems to come right! Don't know why though?!

4. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

Me myself, backed up by numerous others, say that the back one is the right one (this is the one i was told it was from day 1), and its only lately that I have been told differently by our conductor.

5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Yes, it's always been the back one on every euph I have played.

Did you try my suggestion?

6. Blagger

Blagger Member

The one with a water key - never seen a 4th valve tuning slide have one - yet ;)

7. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

thats what i thought, thought it was odd being told the 4th value slide has a water key! ;)

8. Blagger

Blagger Member

Tell him you know your own Euph :p - deffo never seen a water key on a 4th valve - would be pretty pointless.

9. I have seen the tuning slide on the front on some brands, but it was usually on a front action, or a three valved instrument. On the Besson it is on the back, and if the director argues, tell him I am looking at mine as I type this.

10. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

My Euphonium is a Besson soverign so therefore its on the back of the instrument not the front.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    euphonium
    Tuning slide
    conductor
    brass band
    right hand
  12. Despot

Despot Member

Handy Tip:

To find the MAIN tuning slide start at the bell and follow the pipe until you come to the first slide. This is the main tuning side. On most brass instruments the MAIN tuning slide is the first slide after the bell.

For Besson euphs this is always on the back. (Presitge, Sov, Regents, Imps, 700 etc)

Sound like your conductor may have got a bit mixed up...it happens...unless he was trying to tune the valves?

13. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

My conductor was just trying to tune my instrument, not the valves.

14. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Member

Now I got made to feel a twit for exactly the same reason a few months back - conductor tuning band, I adjusted back slide and was told the slide at the back was for the 4th valve, and the front one was the main one.......Didn't query it at the time, as just kind of presumed he knew more than I did....(Euph is a Yamaha Maestro)

Just been and checked (by pulling a slide out and blowing) and the back slide is the tuning slide, so I was right after all....as is everyone else on here!!

Andy.

15. kevinshort

kevinshort New Member

Simple bit of info tuning slide is the one that has a different bore each side of the slide on all good compensating instruments . Tell your MD to learn more about what he has in his band a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

16. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Well, apparently you haven't seen a Sterling Virtuoso, have you?
    :biggrin:

17. Blagger

Blagger Member

nope ;)

18. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

The main tuning slide on my 1975 vintage Besson New Standard is reversible. I've got it stuck in "backwards" because the silverplate on the "back" is till s85-90% but the "front" is pretty much down to raw brass.

And the 4th slide on the Yamaha 641, 642, and 842 is not reversible. At least that's the case with the ones sold in the US.

19. awalker

awalker Member

I agree, it's definitely on the back!

20. Despot

Despot Member

Ok...then your conductor got it wrong! But it's a common mistake to make.

Now how you want to tell your conductor that he/she is wrong is another matter! Perhaps privately point out the "first slide connected to the bell" rule?

21. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

well at band on Monday night, when tuning, the conductor told me to use the front one and apprently it improved the tuning even though i couldn't hear a difference. But when i used the back one to tune, which i used first, a could hear a difference in the tuning. Mind Boggles! :confused:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    euphonium
    Tuning slide
    conductor
    brass band
    right hand