''Tuning Rings''?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

This is either an idea of pure genius, or utter stupidity. :cool:

What about some company making ''Tuning Rings''? By that I mean plastic rings, of various thicknesses, so that when you have set your main tuning slide, you measure the gap, select the combination of ''Tuning Rings'' that equal that gap and then slide them on.

This would then stop the slide being pushed in in error, as I often do on tenor horn when when resting the horn on my leg.

They could be made for each type of instrument, horn, cornet, etc. and looking at various makes the main slides don't seem that different in size from one to the other.

Genius or what?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuning Rings
    main tuning slide
    plastic rings
    tenor horn
    various thicknesses
  3. astreet83

astreet83 Member

"Genius or what?" - errrr probably what mate.

Whats wrong with marking your tuning slide with a pencil and actually listening to the notes you produce and if they sound out of tune check your slide. Genius of what?

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well as for the listening thing, if you play and it's wrong, it's too late. Wrong note is out there to the audience. These would prevent that from happening. Just an idea.

5. worzel

worzel Member

Pure genius I say. My slide is either to stiff to finely adjust, or forever being knocked in by my leg. I can't find a happy medium.

You'd only need, say, 10mm, 5mm, 2.5mm 1.25mm, 0.625mm and you could do any distance up to 20mm down to 0.5mm accuracy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  6. astreet83

astreet83 Member

I don't think it would sell.

If on Dragon's Den I think they would be saying "Simple solution, don't knock your slide, I'm out"

I suppose being a cornet player we don't get problems like this. Perhaps you should inform the company that made your instruments so they can re-design the position of the slides?

7. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it seems to me to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist... well, not one that exists for cornet players anyway.

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's the same on all tenor horns, even the 'newly' designed Yamaha Neo.

I've solved the problem for me, by finding some plastic tubing of the right diameter, and cutting it to length. Just thought it's a better idea than the Berp device on the market. ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Makes for fine tuning during a performance difficult if you need to push your slide in.... e.g. playing cold, outside, or after long rests where the instrument cools down (and more that likely plays flat...)

Use a thicker grease on the slide so they don't move so much...

10. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

hold your instrument sideways on your leg rather than propped up on the tuning slide?

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Fair point, although I've never needed to. And long rests? I'm talking about tenor horns here, not solo cornets. :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuning Rings
    main tuning slide
    plastic rings
    tenor horn
    various thicknesses
  13. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

the obvious joke...

do tenor horn players ever bother with their tuning anyway?

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Could do, but then the water doesn't gather round the water keys. That and I've just bought a new horn that I don't want dented by the less careful players nearby. ;)

15. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

the answer is....sometimes, only sometimes...but not on competition stages, they are reserved for a special out of tune-ness

16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Surely it was in tune when they bought it

17. GinGinnie

GinGinnie New Member

I have always marked my slide with a pencil. It has not caused my horn any problems. Doesn't damage the metal etc.... I also rest the bell on my knee when I am not playing!
    Am I a genius?

18. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Actually for the Novice, Learner, or less experienced player this is a good idea.

Until new, inexperienced players have learned how to hear the tuning this could help.

19. timbloke

timbloke Member

Clearly not.

Actually, I think this is a VERY BAD idea, as it will help to extend the myth that if you put your tuning slide in one position, your instrument will be in tune. This is even more of an issue for new learners who need to get used to listening to the notes they produce and trying to play in tune, not simply sticking their slide in one position and hoping for the best.

I have a tube of tuning slide grease - red stuff, think it now comes in tubs - eg. here. I bought it in 1994 for a few quid, and to date I've only used about a 1/4. a worthwhile investment to making sure slides don't stick and can be finely adjusted throughout the performance.

20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'd say not, as you are draining the water away from the water keys.

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Picture the scene:

Conductor wants to tune the band up...

Player plays a middle C

Conductor: "Can you push in a bit...?"

Player: "Hang on"

Player gets up, walks over to his case, rummages around for the bag with his tuning rings in, eventually finds them, walks back to his seat and sits down, then spends a minute taking the old rings out and replacing with new ones.

Conductor: "right, try again"

Player plays note...

Conductor: No, that's too much, pull back out again....

Repeat above several times over for each player in the section / band...

I'M OUT! ;)

22. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Quite possibly, but dont you end up with wet spots on your knee? or is it just my horn that gathers water in the bottom bow of the pipe leading to the bell?