Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidsait, Nov 12, 2011.

1. davidsait

davidsait Member

I'm looking to purchase a tuner. Does anyone have any recommendations, or suggestions for products to steer clear of please?

Ideally I'm looking for something small and compact which comes with a case. The model I had thought of getting, the Yamaha TD1 which came in something like a cassette case, is no longer available.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. davidsait

davidsait Member

Thanks for the suggestion!
  4. bbocaner

bbocaner New Member

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-122a! None finer!!
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I have a TD1 it's very good, but the case was just a cassette case and, despite the bubble wrap, got broken fairly quickly!
  6. I would recommend to Korg OT-120 Orchestral Tuner. Very flexible device with lots of alternative settings, temperaments and so on.
  7. A more cheap and cheerful option would be the Korg DT-4 it does the job and is very basic, but has lots of lovely flashing lights!
  8. davidsait

davidsait Member

Thanks everyone.
  9. GJPC

GJPC New Member

Hi all,

I have a couple "traditional" tuners but bought a very neat one a couple weeks ago (£9 from John Packer on the trade stand at SWBBA contest), it clips to the bell of the instrument and measures the exact pitch by sensing teh vibrations on the bell - very accurate and has the benefit of being able to tune the instrument regardless of what other noise is going on around you. It's a chromatic tuner, and you can set it to a variety of different pitched transposing instruments. The only down side (if it is a down side) is you're stuck at concert pitch - you can't set it to tune sharp or flat but then, the LED needle tells you how sharp or flat the note is so you can tune to that anyway.

If you want to have a look, it's on the JP web site - http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalog...k-Tuner-DW9006-clip-on-battery-powered-208812

Has my personal recommendation (for what it's worth!)
  10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The ones on either side of your head are better than any electrical device if you learn how to use them!
  11. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

I have a KORG DT-2 digital tuner, I have had it years, uses a 9V size battery, never let me down YET...... don't know if they are manufactured anymore...... maybe not, it is ancient, like its owner.
  12. monody

monody Member

Cleartune is an app for smart phones. Very versatile. One less gadget to carry.
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

When did you start using those mate? :tongue: