tumble weed gently rolling past

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mesmerist, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Well hello it's been a very long time...and it seems very quiet...*whispers now* is anyone there?
    I used to be a flugel player/holder/occupier of seat...it's been FIVE years now give or take one or two moments of seeing if I could still get the odd note out. WOW. What a long time. What's brought me back from the realms of the sane? Do you want to know? Hmm. o_O

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    long time
    occupier of seat
    holder
    tumble weed
    realms
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

You've no control over it, it's in the blood ~ Now get some practice done and haul ass down to a local band :)

Mesmerist, Matthew and mikelyons like this.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I so love having a like button! ^what he said!

5. Mesmerist

Ah, the incomparable Mr W and Mr L. Hello Sirs!
    I sold my cornets but hung onto the old flugel partly because it is battered and shabby but also I loved it too much to let it go. I haven't got a mouthpiece because I loaned mine out when I retired so I'll have to find another to begin practicing again. Still have my doubts about re-committing on the time front and do I really want all the contest stress again? Suck it and see time. You're right Mr Wilx, it is in the blood. Are you playing now? I seem to remember you were having hearing problems a while back?

6. Cornet23

Cornet23 Member

I took 5 years out of banding and was surprised at just how quickly it has become my entire life all over again. It makes me realise how empty my life must have been during the 5 years in the middle!

7. Mesmerist

The last five years have been busy and there hasn't been time to miss banding. I've moved home twice, done an Open University degree and brought up my two daughters who no longer need me in quite the same way now. Time for a life outside of being a Mum. A cunning person sent me a short recording two days ago and when I listened it hit me that I was not the dunce player I thought. It's sort of rekindled my battered confidence and interest.

pedaller, mikelyons and stevetrom like this.
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Good to have you back Mr Mesmer ~ I really do envy you your courage in taking up the banding challenge again and I understand your trepidation, but I'm sure you will gain great personal satisfaction and pleasure from it. My hearing problem is now only a minor irritation, mainly to others who are sick of me saying "Pardon". I don't use the hearing aids as the are next to useless and amplify every single background noise rather than the voice I'm trying to hear
    I'm not playing with a band though I dabbled a bit with Imps Vets Band last year, but I'm keeping my lip in. I try and practice at least 4/5 days a week just for 1/2 hour or so. ( I like to annoy the neighbours !) I don't know why as I've retired from active banding and wouldn't join a band and commit again to two rehearsals or more a week plus gigs as I'm a bit of an old git now, I've served my time. It must be in the blood though because I quite often having to fight off strong a urge to go for a blow with a band just to dip my toe in the water so to speak. I think it must be some innate (or inane !) instinct. I would feel a bit lost if I didn't have an EEb bass snug in its case somewhere in the house. ~ Who knows though, perhaps...............
    Anyway, the very best of luck to you:)

pedaller likes this.
  9. Mesmerist

Mr Wilx, from what I've heard about you from your old partner Mr B, I should imagine any one of your local bands would be highly delighted if you appeared in their band rooms. I know what you mean though, before you know it they will be signing you up and then you feel obliged to keep turning up to everything.
    I once knew an old trumpet player in a swing band who must have been near 80 years old. He was an ex professional (I was going to say "swinger" but that sounds wrong somehow) and told me he would play until his teeth fell out. Seemed a pretty good life plan to me.

mikelyons and iancwilx like this.
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I knew a grand old bloke like that. After his teeth went he moved to the perc dept ~ At least he was still contributing and making a noise !

mikelyons and Mesmerist like this.
  11. Mesmerist

Well...first rehearsal last Monday. Text from unknown person with invite to a Band. Meet in dark car park, climb into the stranger's car and set off with 2 unknown men for unknown destination. Only in Banding! Enjoyed it. Agreed to be signed up. This week, rehearsal cancelled and Conductor resigned. Darn it. He was good. Never a dull moment in the band world!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    long time
    occupier of seat
    holder
    tumble weed
    realms
  13. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Been there - took 4-5 years out, and within 6 months of coming back (2 years ago now) I couldn't recall how I'd spent all the time that banding (and practice) was now taking up again.

On a note of encouragement - with suitable & sensible practice, it can all come together again very quickly and then some - within those 2 years (since starting to play again) I've got to a point where I'm playing far better now than I did before I stopped.

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Sometimes a change is as good as a rest!

15. Mesmerist

I think you are right Tom as when you do come back it is a fresh start but with all the knowledge you acquired beforehand so it is easier to eradicate all those bad little habits. (Well some of them perhaps...)

16. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    And with the right mental approach (for me, that was initially "I have to get back to where I was") you can wind up laying down some really good practice habits (for starters: doing it regularly!) that take you to new heights, and that's a great feeling!

17. Mesmerist

I also think detaching from the intensity has been a good thing. It has enabled me to have a healthier approach; less fear and anxiety over the pressure to perform and win at all costs. Now I can (and do) play for pleasure. If I find myself reverting back to the nervous person I once was I know I can walk away again.

18. Mesmerist

Darn it. I love Banding. What on earth is so addictive about driving miles on a cold dark night to blow a metal tube with a few other people?

Euphonium Lite likes this.