Tubular Bells Wanted

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Oct 29, 2004.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells For Sale (not LP)

Hi all we are thinking of buying some tubular bells for band however I was looking round on ebay and came up with these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3756681226&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

if you look at the pictures they look fantastic and my MD is jumping up and down with excitment at the prospect of getting our hands on them. Unfortunately we only play in the usual village halls so I don't think they get through the doors.

Now I come to the point of this post are there any top flight bands out there that might be interested in acquiring Mike Oldfield's own Tubular Bells (not the LP) as we would be interested in buying your normal sized old ones?

These would look great on stage with say a 60" tam-tam.:D

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Impressive looking set of bells. Even better for the brass band tour version of Tubular Bells (when written and recorded by someone ... if some don't get to bored listening to the final product! ;) ). I wonder what the final bidding price will be?

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Bid ends this Sunday night - might need to get some on-line access at Pontins to get involved in the final flurry of bids. No bids in above the reserve of £999 yet. They come with a flight case but they really ought to come with a motor and hydraulic lift.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

£999.99 isn't even the reserve price. I have e-mailed the seller to get physical dimensions of the bell-frame and flight-case. I wonder why the bells were MIDI triggered? Must have been layered with other sounds both in the studio and on stage.

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The £999.99 is the seller's starting price but with the (Reserve Not Met) placed beside it tells any prospective bidder that they would have to bid at a higher price to try and match his minimum selling price. So far (19:20), not one bid has been placed for this unique stage giant (dimensions now posted on advert ... bells are approx 9ft [biggest] frame fits into flightcase approx 6 x 5 x 3. bells[20] fit into flightcase approx 9 x 2 x 2).
    Regarding your query about MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). All that means in context of the tubular bells is that an industry-standard interface has been built into it so it can communicate with other similar interfaced instruments and a computer which can control and record the sounds emulated through a hard/software synth. The bells, when connected this way, become a controller of computer-generated or synthesised sounds, new or factory standard. Without the interface they are standard, analogue/acoustic bells. They are struck as normal (except if you play for a certain band from Hull,.... :rolleyes: ).

... just in case I got it wrong about the MIDI role, I have mailed the guy again to query it's use and whether the bells are played normally (on a platform or by a giant) or triggered remotely by a keyboard in the MIDI chain. With these bells being the centrepiece of the tour, hopefully they are just not for ornamentation! Imagine trying to get them on the band bus?

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... confirmed. The bells are struck with mallets (... maybe by a giant!) :shock:

p.s., just found out that the bells are MIDI layered with strings and a synthy sound on Tubular Bells II (1992) recording (track 7, The Bell). Very Xmassy sound!!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Bells sold for £1,019.00, not much above what the guy wanted to start his bidding at. Good price in my opinion, considering it's rarity value and size.

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for the extra information - they really were something that would have been great to buy for band; imagine the posters for our next Concert

Mike Oldfield's
    TUBULAR BELLS
    In Concert
    with etc

Would get a great audience for that.