Tuba Soloists, Stand or Sit?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MickM, Jun 19, 2006.

Do you prefer to stand or be seated for your tuba solo

1. Standing

27 vote(s)
  2. Seated

22 vote(s)
  1. MickM

MickM Member

Just wandered how and why all you tuba soloists out there prefer to perform your solo's. It seems that the norm is standing for Brass Band's and seated for orchestral soloists!
    I know there is a big difference in time between playing a tuba concerto and say a solo such as czardas, but you don't usually see soloists in banding seated!
  2. Tack7

Tack7 Member

I have occasionally seen seated Eb soloists in brass band concerts, but most do stand. I think it is partly to do with the length of the pieces. Ive seen some top Eb players sitting down if theyre doing a guest soloist gig where obviously theyre playing 3 or 4 pieces.

3. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Depends how big you are!:p

Seriously tho - i think standing looks more professional..... but i have to say that i find it easier to play when seated. I can play better if on me bum, rather than stood trying to support a bass at a weird twisted angle so you can reach the 4th valve and the mouthpiece at the same time without dislocating any limb's :eek: .

................that said, i will probably stand next time i do a solo anyway!!!!:confused:

Maybe we're all just gluten's for punishment:tongue: .

PEDAL ON!:cool:
  4. Bungle

Bungle Member

I now prefer to stand up, if you are not on a raised stage there is more chance the audience can see you. If you usually sit down, you may find one day, that someone has forgotten/taken your chair, or there isn't room, you end up having to stand anyway and that's not the kind of stress you want before playing a solo.
  5. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I've never played Eb or Bb bass, but I'm a bit of a weakling :tongue: and find it quite hard to play euphonium standing for any length of time. It's not so much the weight of the instrument, as I'm fine carrying it to school/band etc, but being able to support the instrument at the right height, produce a good quality of sound and not press the valves down at an angle that makes them permanantly sticky for the next few months!
    I know this doesn't really answer the question, but I reckon that unless you're 100% happy with playing standing up, it's not worth sacrificing sound for stage prescence. Then again, if the soloist is capable of playing standing, it does look a LOT better, just look at the tuba soloists of most of the top bands.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Under normal circumstances, I would prefer to sit, whether playing EEb or BBb, largely for the reasons mentioned above concerning the ease of holding the instrument and reaching the 4th valve etc. The exception would be if it were a "fun" type solo, that would benefit from moving among the punters, as with Pat's "come dancing" demo at Hadleigh.

When I've used extracts from "Tubby the tuba" as an illustration in a YP slot, that works much better if you wander down to where the kids are sitting.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

When we had Steve Sykes as a guest soloist he stood up to play, but with the tuba supported on some sort of "custom-modified" stand - seemd to be an ideal solution.
  8. 1Cal

1Cal New Member

Sorry, I'm in the wrong place. I thought this topic was about lavatorial preference!
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm no tuba soloist, but for a spectator point of view, I've put standing, after seeing Dyke's Eb Bass soloist play Czardas at the '05 Europeans (well... on the DVD anyway ;) )... It was very entertaining... but, depends on the piece I guess.... but I'd perfer to see soloists standing if possible.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

With the development of harnesses in recent years, it should make it easier for players to stand whilst playing.
  11. Tack7

Tack7 Member

Straps are ok for marching, but i cant imagine anyone wearing one to play a solo. Ive never seen that happen.

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think it's a great idea ... the harness can be easily concealed too!

[​IMG] http://www.meinl-weston.com/accessories.htm
  13. chizzum

chizzum Member

I play my solo's with the band stood up, but solo's with orchestra's sat down (concerto's) where as for solo competitions i always sit. Its a better handling of the tuba when seated and standing up is only to make a bridge between the band sat down and you the soloist stood up, but it depends if you can last easily stood up; if not get a chair
  14. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Must be something to do with the whiskey they have before hand!
  15. MickM

MickM Member

I agree Naomi, i prefer to stand myself.
    I played Czardas at the French Open Gala concert a couple of weekends ago (standing), but i must admit, after travelling for 15 hours on a coach, playing in a very hot hall, sweating like mad whilst my glasses kept sliding down my nose :eek: (which the audience found quite funny) was hard work.
    After the concert a member of the audience asked me "why do you stand up to play a solo on the tuba, our tuba player always sit's on a stool", which is what prompted me to ask the question.

ps, Hope the family is doing well :tup

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  16. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I must admit I was going to suggest a stool too - I find sitting on a tall stool to play more comfortable than sitting on a standard sized chair and it lifts you up above the band so you look more like a soloist. (Risks looking a bit like Val Doonican though ..... ;( )
  17. MickM

MickM Member

Val Doonican........wasn't that a Rocking chair?.. now that would be a novelty!!!

I've seen tuba players performing their solo's sat in "standard" chairs, standing as normal and also standing with their left foot on a chair seat to support the tuba, which in my opinion didn't look very professional. Sitting on a tall stool......must admit, i've never seen, YET!!!
  18. Bungle

Bungle Member

Are you thinking of Dave Allen the comedian, 'cos I'm not cutting the top off one of my fingers! (probably lost on the youngsters on here). Anyway a stool does sound like a good idea, as long as it doesn't have a vinyl top, they can make some embarrassing noises if you move about. I always practice my solos standing up, to get used to the 4th valve control and to build up the arm muscles.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  19. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Thank you for making me laugh.:clap:
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

"Stand or Sit?"

Yes...I will typically stand or sit.

really depends on the piece.