Tuba Repairs/renovation London/M25

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davetubaking, May 24, 2014.

1. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

The time has come to get my old battered thing sorted out. It needs a complete overhaul probably relaquering and a very very deep clean. My only worry is if you remove all the grime the damn thing will fall apart and a healthy plant and animal eco system will be destroyed.

Any hows looking for recommendations for best tuba repair/renovation outfit in the London M25 area.

Many thanks.

2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Following up on this, any tips on disinfecting a tuba ? I think mine needs a good overnight soak in something strong.

~ Mr Wilx

3. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Adrian Jarvis gets my vote. His shop is in Amersham and his number is 01494 713414

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Not many suggestions so far within the M25 area so I wonder whether you might be prepared to travel a little further for a large and potentially expensive project like this. Brass Fix are just up the M1 in Northamptonshire (http://www.brass-fix.co.uk/) and used to advertise magnetic dent removal for Tubas on ebay, I've bought small parts off of them by mail order and been pleased by the service.

In terms of cleaning and de-germing the insides of an instrument I poor soapy warm (but not hot) water into the lead pipe (use a funnel), leave to soak for half an hour and then brush through with the largest diameter snake I can get to fit. All the slides get the same treatment. I've seen few people use them but brass savers (http://www.hwproducts.com/BrassPage.html also available off of ebay and maybe Amazon) keep the inside of tubes polished (once the snake brush has removed any deposits).

When I had a tuba - many decades ago - I used to regularly poor a bucket of warm soapy water down the bell and turn the instrument arround until water flowed out of the lead pipe. As I recall for the first few times I did this small flakes of green stuff came out. The band master used to think all instruments should be swilled through though I'm not certain now whether they are build strongly enough for what I did then.

Hope the above helps in some way.

Last edited: May 26, 2014