Tuba quartet music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Jul 6, 2011.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Hi All!

Resently started in a Tuba quartet! (2Eb bass and 2 euphs). We have some music but not alot!

Anyone know a good place to get some?! Just music doesnt seem to have alot?!

Thanks in advance :)

Matt :D

2. Kaggen90

Kaggen90 Member

3. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Peter Smalley did a lot of arrangements and compositions for Steven Mead's British Tuba Quartet, quite a few years ago now. I know some of these have found their way into print as the group I play in has used some of them. I don't have my 1st tuba music pad with me but we have used his Cool Suite several times.

Stephen Bulla wrote Celestial Suite which is good fun. He also wrote Rock Bottom, a 1.5 minute opener for YouTuba.
    While doing a search, I came across The Eagle Thunders by James Gourlay. I don't know this so you might want to ask around.

Celestial Suite and The Eagle Thunders are listed on the Tuba Quartet page of Winwood Music's website; http://www.winwoodmusic.co.uk/shop/tubaquartet/
    I thought you could get Rock Bottom direct from Stephen Bulla's own website, Bulla Music but I'm not sure now.

Check out the Tuba Quartet section of the June Emerson Wind Music catalogue. The website lists 235 tuba quartet titles although some of them will be for 4 tubas or 4 euphoniums instead of the standard line up.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You could use music written for the standard quartet for 2 cornets, tenor horn and euphonium - except that your second E flat tuba player will need to tranpose the euphonium part. Whether such an arrangement would be aesthetically acceptable is another matter of course....

5. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Prima Arts (David Hirst's company) has quite a few tuba quartets. Don't know if he is still trading though, not seen much recently.

6. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

You could use a Bb bass for the Euph parts - it would need a pretty handy Bb player to tackle them though, and they may be happier if you turn the music upside down!

7. pbirch

pbirch Member

bvdpress has loads of tuba quartets

8. pbirch

pbirch Member

does it actually make a difference if a Bb player has his music upside down or the right way up? :)

9. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Here try this freebie The Water Is Wide a legal free download from PDF Brass.
    If you're interested in "light" stuff let me know and I'll have a go at arranging some for you.
    Andy
    www.pdfbrass.com

10. nutsaboutmark

nutsaboutmark New Member

John Fletcher arranged the waltz from sleeping beauty for tuba quartet should be easy enough to get your hands on. Arranging pieces is always.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi All
    Tuba
    2Eb
    Resently
    Tuba quartet music
  12. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Four of John Fletcher's arrangments are available here:

http://www.brassworks-music.com/pages/tuba_ensemble.html

although it doesn't include the Sleeping Beauty waltz, unfortunately.

Also, seek out the music of the American John Stevens.

13. foxy bingo

foxy bingo New Member

The BTQ recordings are great. You can tell listening to them that Ken Ferguson and Stephen Mead very much thought on the same lines. Wonderful.

14. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Available from June Emerson here The Sleeping Tuba Waltz

15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Yes some great playing, and like all good chamber groups they indeed seemed to be of the same mind. Who was that young boy that Ken and Steve had on 2nd Euph? - I bet he loved it.

16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Found a copy of The Sleeping Tuba Waltz in my library - you can have it for £6.50 including UK postage. As new - unmarked (slight marking on back cover) - don't remember ever using it.
    4 parts in Bass Clef only + score.

17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

you could try this: Bass Soonest
    It was originally a piece for bassoon quartet and there's an alternative part for BBb.