Tuba Practice Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by EbEwan, Sep 27, 2011.

1. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

I have recently had to move to a flat and unfortunately the landlord (on seeing me carrying the B flat Bass in) made a rather impolite remaark to the effect that I couldn't play it at home (no taste I suspect;)). So, I was wondering if there is anyone with experience of them that could suggest good options for practice mutes - the Silent Brass seems a little pricey, not beyond me, but if there is a better option...

I apologise in advance if this has been covered before, but I couldn;t find anything related to basses.
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

i just bought a standard mute home to help build up sound and volume, Can't imagine a normal mute would have you making to much noise. Can't see the point in a silent one.
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

the Silent Brass system is expensive and probably not cost effective, a standard tuba mute is big and bulky, and in a flat will take up a lot of space, a practice mute (look up mike mclean mutes) is a good compromise, it will sit in bell of the instrument without tang up extra space
  4. pedaller

pedaller Member

Speak to Mike Mclean. I use his 4 in 1 practice/straight mute in my sov BB and the neighbours can't hear a thing ! They are well made, and will fit inside the bell for storage.