Tuba Practice Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by EbEwan, Sep 27, 2011.

1. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

I have recently had to move to a flat and unfortunately the landlord (on seeing me carrying the B flat Bass in) made a rather impolite remaark to the effect that I couldn't play it at home (no taste I suspect;)). So, I was wondering if there is anyone with experience of them that could suggest good options for practice mutes - the Silent Brass seems a little pricey, not beyond me, but if there is a better option...

I apologise in advance if this has been covered before, but I couldn;t find anything related to basses.

2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

i just bought a standard mute home to help build up sound and volume, Can't imagine a normal mute would have you making to much noise. Can't see the point in a silent one.

3. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

the Silent Brass system is expensive and probably not cost effective, a standard tuba mute is big and bulky, and in a flat will take up a lot of space, a practice mute (look up mike mclean mutes) is a good compromise, it will sit in bell of the instrument without tang up extra space

4. pedaller

pedaller Member

Speak to Mike Mclean. I use his 4 in 1 practice/straight mute in my sov BB and the neighbours can't hear a thing ! They are well made, and will fit inside the bell for storage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice