Tuba Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Deano, May 8, 2004.

1. Deano

Deano Member

I've recently switched from Baritone onto Eb tuba and was wondering if any of the many Tuba TMP'ers would be willing to give some advice on mouthpiece selection.

I am currently using a Besson 25 mouthpiece with a Sovereign Eb (the only mouthpiece the band had available when I switched).

It seems to me to be a very narrow bore and my sound in the upper register seems very thin.

Any advice and suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign Eb
    Tuba Mouthpieces
    Baritone
    Tuba TMP'ers
    Besson
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I've been using a Wick 1L for ages with a Besson EEb, because I like the sound it makes in the usual range, plus it plays sweetly in the upper register.

It did take nearly two and a half hours (and trying out 20 odd mouthpieces) in a well known musical emporium in Sherlocke Holmes' land to decide on the 1L, though. You need to make your own choice.

The 1L also doubles adequately on my Courtois BBb, and the pedal notes are wicked enough to make cornet players want to donate their bells...

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

a 1L in a E flat?? Nice up high???

I did try that, but I found it was toomuch hard work to maintain the upper register. But mouthpieces are a personal choice.

Because I tried to be an all-round tuba player, I went from the 3L to the Bach 12 (yes we've heard this before, but he did ask!!). Do you hold hopes of returning to baritone?? Because if that's the case adn you are only a casual player, then I wouldn't go too much bigger. 3L does most E flat players.

Perantucci is becoming the mouthpiece ofchoice for tuba players down in Oz.....do they have something for you??

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I use a Wick 2L. Started on a 3L which gives easier pitching when first swapping instrument.

When I moved band I had to make to with a 1L which was a nightmare. Was soooo flat in the upper register.

Am now on a 2L which is a fair compromise

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Why the surprise? Maybe I'm lucky. I've never found the 1L hard work in the upper Eb register, and there's never been a tuning issue. Maybe my basic technique is good enough to cope with the stamina and tuning issues others relate.

As I said - it works for me. As I also said, I spent a long session in Parker's road testing mouthpieces until I found the one I was happy with.

I also have to be an all round player, and the 1L works as well when some composers insist on putting deep Bb Bass Pedals in test pieces when they can't really be left out, (so muggings here gets to peal like bilio) as when playing run of the mill stuff or solo works.

The overall message remains the same - you need to make your own choice.

7. Look into Perantucci Mouthpieces, they're brilliant

8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Many EEb players use a Bach 24AW, not particularly 'big' across the cup but very deep. I've used one for over 20 years.
    I use my 'original' 24AW with shank turned down for my corps BBb (Imperial) and a Megatone 24AW for my EEb's (Sovereigns).
    I bought a Marcinkiewitz 24AW the other week from my friends at Rosehill. Not sure why I bought it but ended up using it for some orchestral Berlioz and it was easier than the Bach for the high stuff.

9. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I'd been using a Wick 3L for ages until I read another, more general, thread on tMP about mouthpieces. I ordered a Perantucci 36 and found that I really like it. It's really nice across the whole range and I've found the lower register much more accessible than with the 3L.

10. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

I play on a Bach 24AW, which i have found to be a lot better than Denis Wick mouthpieces. But I know lots of bass players who play on perantucci (sp).

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I went from a dodgy old besson prototype to a 24AW and I've never looked back. Tried a few others, but it's about the best I've used.

But, as everyone's quite rightly saying, mouthpieces are very much an individual choice. It's whatever suits you best. Try a few, then pick the one you like best.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign Eb
    Tuba Mouthpieces
    Baritone
    Tuba TMP'ers
    Besson
  13. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

24AW for me - nothing else quite hits the mark.

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

PS - Have we not done this thread before quite recently???

14. What - do you mean the thread when it was discovered that you have a manky mouthpiece?

15. tubaplayer

tubaplayer Member

I find that the rim of the 24AW makes the mouthpiece very large on the chops. If you have quite a small space between the lips and the nose, the mouthpiece might be a bit too big at the moment, until you get used to playing the tuba. The new 3L is a very good mouthpiece, but can sometimes cause the sound to be a bit fuzzy. As for Perantucci, they are very good, but you need to try most of the range to pick the best one

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Is it possible, that as a general rule, tuba mouthpiece cushions are too big?