Tuba Mouthpiece advice needed.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hi All.

Just looking for some opinions and advice on Tuba mouthpieces. I’m a 2nd BB player so primarily interested in good, broad, low register sound, but I do need a versatile mouthpiece as well for the tricky bits in test pieces. You know how they like writing inventive, high BB parts these days!

I was on a VB24AW when I first started, having moved from Eb. I found it very versatile on Eb bass but it compromised my low register on BB. (Although I know a lot of top players use them) I’ve played on a Wick 1XL for a few months but I didn’t like the sound it made, although the size of it was about right.

I recently bought a JK of a similar size and have so far been extremely disappointed, as it’s been rather like sticking a cork down the instrument. I just can’t get enough air down it to produce the note cleanly and it’s sawed off my low register at a low E, which is nowhere near low enough!

I borrowed a friend’s Perantucci PT50+ recently (Cheers Paddo!) and found it great all round, lovely broad tone, but perhaps the tiniest bit too narrow. My local supplier doesn’t stock Perantucci, and I understand they cost a pretty penny, but a lot of folk seem to swear by them, and to be honest I can see why.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers All

2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

If you can get over to Preston, The Music Cellar stock the range of Mike Finns that you can try without any obligation and I'd be happy to meet you there and have a chat if you wanted. I'm very happy with my MF3 after a "journey" from a Wicks through many Bachs, Schilkes and Peruntuccis through my years!

3. paddo

paddo Member

got to say that i would not be without a perrantucci, I have a couple and they are i have found the best thing for me.

A pt50+ would be a good one to start with but for faster lower work I tend to use a pt88+, both offer excelent lower register, broad wide sounds.

Try Mrtuba on the net, and give them a call.

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye try Mark at Mr Tuba in Cwmbran...I am sure you can try before you buy..
    Perantucci are expensive but do the job...just give Mark the make and model of Tuba you have and what you are looking for ( lower register , breath of sound etc) and they will send you what you are looking for.
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well...it was you who leant me the PT50+ in the first place fella!

Major thanks for that by the way. Passed it back to Liz on friday, did you get it ok? I'd have NEVER got the ppp pedal C at bar 213 in tallis in tune without it!

Not that that improved out placing at wilkinsons but we did get a 'good basses throughout' comment, so well chuffed.

Thanks for the advice + contacts all.
  6. spanishflee

spanishflee New Member

Try not to go too big

I use a PT 84, it is pretty handy all round. It is technicaly a small Bb mouthpiece but I find that it is consistant throughout the range.
    I wouldn't go too big, it would just be a waste, infact a Wick 1 arguably falls into that category quite nicley. Try the 24 AW again, it is a good alrounder but can get wooly (allegedly), but I think it is cracking.
    But the key is Don't get too big (mouthpiece wise) and remeber nice people in music shops want to sell you things.......................anything.