Tuba models.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by benmcmahon, Jul 26, 2011.

1. benmcmahon

benmcmahon New Member

So........ Tuba's. What would people buy? Besson, Yamaha, other? Trying to find myself one and just can't decide. Anyone got any oars to stick in?

2. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

Which Tuba?

If it's a BBb Bass your thinking about, I've played an old S.A. Triumphonic, an Imperial, a Besson 700, a Besson Sovereign, a Courtois, a Yamaha, and a brand new York in my day. Of these, I would stick to a Sovereign. Beats the rest hands down no matter which way you look at it as far as I am concerned.

Happy hunting.
  3. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

I've played various EEb basses and alway come back to my trusty Besson Sovereign 981 from the early 1990's.
    I found the Yamaha Maestro a nice tuba but the seating position was quite different from my 981 so stuck with the Besson.
  4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

You've probably not tried the new Neo Yamaha then? This is BY FAR the nest BBb I've played, so much so I've actually bought one of my own.
  5. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

I was about to drop you a line on FB to ask what you had bought, is it the one Simon Gresswell was involved with?

Are they that good? I had a VERY brief blow on a prototype and loved the valves strangley, it seemed to blow well too. I did however feel like I was holding an Eb whilst I was playing!
  6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yes, very good. Easy blow, in tune, comfy to hold. Will take some getting used to, no need to lip notes as much anymore!
  7. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Well maybe if I was to come across a spare what...? £6k??? I'd have a dabble!

Until then the old refurbed BBb at band will have to do!
  8. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Out of interest have you just ordered yours or hand picked it?
  9. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

I'll give it a blast first chance I get -- cheers
  10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Just ordered. There are a few around at dealers now though, think Band Supplies and Alan Gregory both have them in stock (or did last I heard). I bought the one that the Music Cellar had.
  11. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Any news of Yamaha following with an EEb Neo tuba?
  12. pbirch

pbirch Member

I did ask this on their Neo page on FB recently, and the answer was not in the new future, the Maestro Eb is still doing well for them.
    there was some talk a while ago about a Prestige tuba from Besson (and Alliance have marketed Prestige mouthpieces for tuba), I wonder what has become of that.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I've heard that there may be, but not immediately.
  14. benmcmahon

benmcmahon New Member

Hmm interesting, so on Sov's a 981/982/983?
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Speaking with one of the Yamaha reps at the Open last year, there was a prototype ready ... and I have been waiting on a public release since then!
  16. Rigo Jancsi

Rigo Jancsi New Member

I play the earlier Yamaha BBb model. The valves are so much better than my previous Sovereign, plays in tune, nice sound with a MF4 mouthpiece. Sounds like the new model is just as good!!

17. JDH

JDH Member

Surely that is good? Most BBb compensated tubas seem to be built for gorillas !!! The once I tried playing a Besson 994 I had back ache after 20 minutes contorting to try to reach the 4th valve and mouthpiece at the same time.
  18. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

I am a gorilla! I currently play our bands old 994, they are not as wide as newer ones but they are taller and weigh a fair chunk! I am usually really comfortable playing mine whilst resting it on my knee like I would an Eb.

Having said that I'm sure with a bit of getting used to that the new Yamaha would be just as comfortable for me. When I played on the prototype I didn't like the curvature of the tube that you rest your right hand on though, would prefer it much flatter.
  19. Hove Edge

Hove Edge Member

I am paying a visit to Yamaha in the next few weeks so I will ask what is the dates for a Neo EEb tuba.

I must say thanks for the feedback on the new Neo.
    I did intend that the BBb would be rested on the chair but do understand if you prefer it on your knee!!

Johnny, the one you played on was not the finished article. If anyone wants a blow on mine just drop me a line either on this site or Facebook.

Simon Gresswell
  20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Have to say I can wholeheartedly concur with this. I played one a few weeks ago, and it was quite simply brilliant in every respect. Made the player work hard (which can only be a good thing!) and the rewards for the extra effort were fantasic.

I can't really put it clearer than to say that in every aspect of playing it was superior to the sovs I've been playing for years.

Had I the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.