"Tuba Mirum" by Gareth Wood

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Any idea where I can get hold of this? I think it was a national lower section testpiece in the 80s, and I've got a tape of the NYBBW playing it in about 1986, but I can't find a publisher/distributor. Failing that, anyone want to lend me a set? :D
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Boosey & Hawkes published it I think!
  3. QAD

QAD Member

I remember playing this with Blaina back around 1994 at the Ebbw Vale contest.
    I think their library is in the care of the cwmamon band - anyone from cwmamon on here?
    I'd forgotten about this peice, it would be good for our next own choice test peice. Thanks :clap:
  4. Anno Draconis

Good, isn't it?

You're right Tom, it is Boosey (Brassneck comes up trumps again :D ) but at the moment I can only find the score listed for sale. I'll keep hunting.......
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This brings back some memories! Tuba Mirum, Culloden Moor, Coliseum, and I can remember being bamboozled by Tombstone, Arizona - all those jerky rhythms and time signature changes. It all seemed very modern in those days. Listening to his recent offerings like Salome and Actaeon, his music has certainly developed over the years, hasn't it? (Assuming of course that there aren't two different Gareth Woods).
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- dare we call him 'innovative'? :rolleyes:
  7. Anno Draconis

Nope, it's the same chap; a much underrated composer. Dance Sequence (for trombone) is also a corker, it's on the Faireys CD from when they did the double in the early 90s.

It would seem that Just Music sell Tuba Mirum but it's "price on application" so we'll see.

Thanks for the responses so far.....:D
  8. tat

tat Member

Whitworth have it, I can remember playing it at the finals. You can always pop up and borrow it until you can track down a set of your own.
  9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

And also on the old Brass with Class CD by Fodens & Snell.

I have a copy of the old Sounding Brass magazine which included a review of a gala concert which featured the premiere of this work (the soloist was Don Lusher, I think). The reviewer "imagined that everyone would by now have congratulated the composer on his fine new work - so may I differ by saying it was a load of old tosh" or words to that effect.

Which just goes to show that all one can offer is one's honest opinion!
  10. Anno Draconis

Many thanks for that, I'll bear that in mind if I'm struggling to get hold of a set.
  11. JR

JR Member

It was the National Finals 4th section test around 1981/2 held at Wembley (I think) and most definitely won by Warren Band (from Wakefield) with a certain D Beckley conducting...
    And Mike Sidebottom on solo trombone

How do i know this? - Duncan hasnt stopped going on about it for the last 26 years

Great piece by the way - blows away this year's 4th section "Symphony"

John R
  12. tat

tat Member

1982 at hammersmith town hall if memory serves me right, and Whitworth came 5th.
  13. BMMB

BMMB New Member

You are spot on Tat! Hammersmith Town Hall, 1982 with a solo in the opening few bars of the piece by yours truely on Solo Horn. As a teenager at his first Nationals the adrenalin was running down my leg!!!!;)
  14. tat

tat Member

I had the same feeling the year after in the Albert Hall!!!