Tuba Marching Straps/harnesses

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Robin Norman, May 11, 2014.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Hi All,

It looks like, after getting out of it for so long, I will be undertaking some marching soon. My tuba has the marching rings but after suffering with a bad abck in the past I'm a little concerned. I wondered if anyone had any experience of the Tuba 'harnesses' such as Neotech. I know that they are more expensive but they could be better for me in the long term if it will save my back.

Thoughts/recommendations greatly appreciated.

2. metalminions

metalminions New Member

i know a bass player who used to use one. i'll see if i get hold of them to ask their opinion!

3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

No Harness will save your back if it is prone to play up. I have had a bad back for years and any marching will cause pain. I did do some marching with a sousaphone and wished I had been using one of those for all and any marching I did in my life they are great on the march. Straps or harness forget it. either march with a sousaphone of expect pain. That said if your back is bad a sousaphone will also cause discomfort. because of the weight. But at least that weight is balenced and not pulling you forward as with a normal tuba / Bass.

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

A long time ago I used to play a Tuba but have never marched with one. I was once asked to march with a BBb and assured it was 'no problem', but having had back problems in the past decided it just wasn't worth the risk and left the task to someone else. Even with a light Eb Tuba and a good harness I'd most likely make the same decision again, though I might test the best carrying kit / harness now available for a good while first.

This link on Tube Net (http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34241 ) gives some Tuba carrying insight and I would also watch some one line video's of bands marching (like Whit Friday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ci1MZnAVY ) to get a feel for what they use too.

The orginal post is some time back, it would be interesting to know how things worked out.