Tuba Harness - Marching (Sling?)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matthew, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Not sure if this has been asked before - a quick search revealed nothing, so comments and opinion welcome. :)

Has anyone got or used the now-available harness (or known as a sling?) for carrying their tuba (or Euphonium, etc) during marches instead of the traditional one leather strap?

I'm thinking of the image attached kind of design.

It looks to have several advantages - that is not pulling on one shoulder (straining) and easier to clip on and off whilst spreading the weight more evenly without giving yourself a hernia?! :eek:

Do they work and are they any good in general? They appear to cost from about £50-80, any recommendations on makes, etc?

Thanks all. :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba Harness - Marching
    comments
    Sling
    marches
    image attached kind of design
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Hi Matthew here's a link to an American marching band accessories site giving more details

http://www.neotechstraps.com/datafiles/neotech_catalog.pdf

I use a standard strap with a foam thickener which you can get at Halfords for about a £5.00 (comes in sets of two for use on seat belts) then I have a piece of cut foam about 10" across (between me and the tuba) which helps set the angle of the tuba so that I can actually get my mouth on the gob-iron.

4. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Thanks for the link Francis, looks interesting. :)

Good idea with your foam 'barrier'! :cool:

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Looks like some kind of parachute harness, a touch of "extreme Bassing"

6. dave jake

dave jake Member

look very hard to get in and out of bit of a handicap if you ve only 10 mins to get to the bar.

7. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I am sure that my Mum used to make me wear one as a toddler....

8. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

LOL, bunjee jump anyone with a tuba?! :D

Maybe you could use it to your advantage to help steady yourself after a few beers? You know, lock down on the bar and go?! :cool:

9. Cornishwomble

Even better, when you're at a typical "contest" bar and there are loads of beer frenzied players trying to get served you can clip yourself to the bar and hang on without fear of losing your place!

10. Di

Di Active Member

Wouldn't have thought the worry would be so much keeping your place. It could help you stay vertical though, I would image. ;)

11. Cornishwomble

Ha, I've got an image our bass section harnessed up hanging off a bar with a load of beers lined up!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba Harness - Marching
    comments
    Sling
    marches
    image attached kind of design
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Unbelievable a serious post regarding something as important has how too carry your tuba and it just gets turned into some sort of joke about parachutes and beer. Di I would have thought that you should have been castigating the above not joining in.

Next we'll be having jokes about strap-ons etc.

Although come to think of it that picture of the harness is quite funny and it's even funny thinking about 4 bass players hooking each other up and then forming a beer-chain ;) .

14. Cornishwomble

On a serious note (to keep Francis happy :tongue:) it does look a comfy strap, I've always felt the tradiional strap looked uncomfortable and ungainly, I reckon that harness could add a few years of marching onto a player

15. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

:cool: :guiness

Hic.

Mhhmmm, beer, march, beer, march, beer.... :)

16. Di

Di Active Member

Consider myself chastised! ;)

However, I was slow too wasn't I? I'd spotted Roy's post, but missed Matthews saying the same thing just above. Ah well, can't be perfect all the time eh? :biggrin:;)