Tuba gig bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mikelyons, Jan 24, 2012.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi guys, I'm looking to spend some money on a new gig bag, as my hard case is ruining my new car. What is the best value for money model? I've been looking at Tom & Will. Does anyone know if they're any good?
  2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Just bought one Mike. It is for my Sov EEb, and so far I have had no problems with it. The shoulder straps seem far more sturdy that previous versions, and they come in a variety of sizes depending on your instrument make/model. If you are going to invest in one, get it from their website, as the majority of independent stockists said they would order it and never did. Ended up getting it direct, and they will deliver to a work address for convenience.
  3. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Recently bought a Tom and Will gig bag for Sovereign EE flat. I wanted something cheap and adequate - not Louis Vitton chic.
    So far all good news.

It has double zips each side of a full-length opening flap 23cm wide - which makes getting the instrument in and out much easier than a single zip bag. The flap itself is 1 metre long, and is a bit unwieldy when you fold it back over the case. The padding is OK for the sort of normal knocks you get going through doorways, in and out of the car etc., but obviously not for serious travel (it isn't meant for that). I would maybe have wanted more padding towards the bell, but I'm sure Tom and Will have done their research on that.

Some things you might not think of:

The handles are positioned so that the instrument is fairly well balanced - some bags are unbalanced and that makes them quite awkward to carry. Haven't used the shoulder strap so can't comment on that.

The lining is strongly stitched into the case - some bags have a zip opening in the lining where the foam padding in inserted, and this can (and does in my experience) give way. This doesn't - the padding is firmly stitched in.

The bag stands firmly on its base (bell end) and retains its shape when empty, which makes it all much easier to manage than a typical floppy case. The bell end has a good strong rubbery/plastic finish which would be OK to stand on rough/wet ground.

A common wear point is where the zip rubs alongside the lining when you close the bag. But the flap here is quite generous and the nylon lining of the flap looks to be stronger than most.

There is a removable 'bell rest' (cushiony thing) which forms the padding at the bell end of the bag that you can take out and use to put your bass on. Hmm maybe - its got 7 cm of padding which makes it a bit wobbly, and it isn't waterproof.

The bell rest also has a very firm plastic insert, a little bit wider than the bell, which seems like good additional protection.

The side bag is quite large but doesn't really have much width for the sort of junk I carry around. Main pocket is 36cm wide, 30cm deep. You could probably get an A4 file in there, but it wouldn't take a normal music stand.

The ony thing I don't like really is that although the bag will stand on its back when empty, you can't trust it to do that when the instrument's in. It (the instrument) has to be positioned just right if you plan to have the bag lie on its back on the ground without it keeling over.

So, really nothing bad to say about it and I think it is remarkable value at the price. It smacks of being thoughtfully designed and well made. Time will tell I guess.

Hope that helps.

Chris Lee
    Newbieish EEflat Besson Sovereign (and Tom and Will gig bag...)
  4. jamieow

jamieow Member

Got a Bach one..........does the job.
  5. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

I dont know if things have changed since i had mine a couple of years ago, but i felt they were way too bulky and heavy, and after about six months the shoulder straps all came unstitched and the hooks were bent very quickly. Also when i had mine the inner lining was a zip, which gave way after about a week. It was just too big and fell apart too easily in my experience, and most people i know who have had them (for tuba at least) they have fell apart and ended up buying bachs - you cant go wrong with a bach in my experience!
  6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I don't know if anyone else has experience this problem or is it me being thick??!! I can never get the damm thing in the gig bag. I have a short fuse at the best of times and I end up giving up and putting it in the normal case because I want to get to the pub!!
  7. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

^ive had this same problem too, with both Bb and Eb cases!
  8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

9. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Me too Stella. Its just plain embarassing sometimes struggling to get the instrument into the bag. It helps a lot if the bag is one that holds its shape when its empty and doesn't just collapse. Tom and Will bags hold their shape, and so, according to their marketing blurb do Virtuosi. Don't know about Bach.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Not maybe what Mike is prepared to fork out, but Reunion Blues do a good job too, although mine is also a tight fit and cannot be used in a hurry!
  11. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Got the latest Bach gig bag (zip around the bell not down the side) and its great all over.. Worth the money 100% better than other gig bags I've had!
  12. mikelyons

Thanks all for your replies. I don't want to pay all that money for a Bach or reunion blues. My bass is probably not worth that much! Still looking at Tom & Will, but the Virtuosi is also looking good.
  13. Tubawolves

Tubawolves Member

I use a Tom and Will Gig Bag for my BBb bass and to be honest it has been very poor value. The material shreads by the zips exposing the filling used to protect your instrument. The inside is also zipped in and those have also started to go. The thread went after about three months and the case looks a mess. Sorry to denegrate a named brand but my next gig bag will not be Tom and Will.
    Apart from that the back straps are too low and the instrument bangs against the back of your legs - I am 6'1" so not a dwarf. The gig bag idea is great as I use mine for my 120 mile round trip down to Gloucester as well as all contests - good protection but as I say gets messy if it splits.

Hope this helps
  14. pbirch

pbirch Member

just check your insurance policy before getting a gig bag, my policy (from orchestral guard) specifically excludes damage incurred when the instrument is not in a hard case.
  15. mikelyons

Thanks all, after weighing up the pros and cons, I have decided on a Tom&Will. I don't do huge amounts of gigging - I'm too old - and I'm not as grumpy as Stella :)-)) so, to protect my car upholstery, I think that is probably the best option. Thanks again all.
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I've had a leather Bach gig for my EEb for 7 years (I have an RX-8 and a hard case would knacker the rear seats) - it has given good service and is still in excellent condition, zips, straps etc all solid still. It zips top to bottom and isnt as tricky as some side zips to put in and out. Weve had the cloth ones with fur inside and they are a right fight to put in and the edges on the case eventually wear and split. We have recently purchased a gig-bag for a newly refurbed BBb from Mr Tuba which is zipped around the bell so easy to put in and out too, will see how it stands up to weekly transportation in a car.