Tuba Gig Bag

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Mar 9, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

OK, can anyone recommend a good quality gig bag for a Besson Sovereign EEb tuba? - Looking to change cars and would prefer something softer on the outside than the existing hard case.

I've seen Vincent Bach in leather at about 300.00 also Soundware at similar price but there are also others around the 100.00 price - Ritter. Wouldn't be used for sticking in the hold of a coach but would need to be strong enough to cope with in and out the car etc.
  2. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Careful that you dont cart your instrument round thinking that a gig bag will protect it like a case does because it wont. I had a tenor man gig bag which was hopeless. Would have been more use sticking the tuba in a bloomin plastic bag

Your looking certainly at no less than £100 for something substantial
  3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Our conductor Craig Anderson has a leather Reunion Blues gigbag for his EEb, seems to be the bees knees I think, looks good and is padded very well.

Pity they dont do one for BBb, Id have one straight away. Any other suggestions for a Sov BBb?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for that Damien - I used to have a much smaller car some years ago and used a fairly light gig bag which we still have at band which as you say's not much use for protecting the contents. I'm looking for something that could give similar protection to a hard case but I would accept that greater care would be required when using one.
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I have a Reunion Blues BBb Gig Bag, so they do do them. Not leather though.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Can't say about the tuba case, but I have a Ritter trumpet bag which I don't use except for keeping the dust off instruments at home. Definitely one of the cheaper ones, and with virtually no padding or protection at all. Wouldn't take an instrument out of the house in it.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Oh yes they do

Removable bell protector
    Adjustable backpack straps
    Zipper pockets for accessories
    Double zipper pulls
    Extra thick shoulder pads
    Brushed steel hardware
    Protective feet on bell area

Style #608 - 18" Bell x 40"lgth, BB flat Inside dimensions: 43"lgth x 19"ht x 18.5"depth
    Weight: 14.8 lbs. leather, 14.2 lbs. nylon
  8. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Just a general tuba gig bag comment, I'd try and get one that zips around the bell rather than down the side, purely for ease of getting it in and out. I find the ones that zip down the side a bit fiddly for getting the bell in and out at times.
  9. Tom

Tom Member

You get what you pay for when it comes to gig bags - £200/300 is the minimum
    Mark Carter at Mr Tuba does very good gig bags which zip round the bell. They are much easier to use than many of the cheaper makes and provide decent protection for the instrument.
  10. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Mines a black fabric (waterproof) one from Band Supplies in Leeds for BBb. Good tough construction, cheaper and just as good as leather with padding/fur and bell reinforcement. Made just for Band Supplies in this instance. :)

Agree with Chris, until your bag stretches a bit to fit the instrument, it is more tricky to get the bell in and out (bit of an art to it!) as it's a top zip on mine.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  11. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I thot that a Sov BBb had a 19" bell, would that not be quite tight? The other Sov I had was the taller one (June 1995 or so) that is about 42" long, I know the one I use just now is the newer, shorter, fatter one, so might be abit short for it?

Hmm need to start saving up!
  12. chizzum

chizzum Member

I had the same problem recently when trying to find a gig bag for my sovereign EEb Tuba but this was not easy to find. I wanted to find a gig bag for around 150 max but this was impossible. Most tuba gig bags are around 300-400 pounds. I did find a few cheap gig bags but they were very under padded and not safe enough at all. If you want a decent case then Ritter do supply well but the bell sizes aren't always whats needed. I have a Vincent Bach gig bag which is fantastic. Padded, stylish but also easy to carry with very strong straps. The zip is down the centre but this isn't a problem as long as you put it in straight. Good luck searching!!!!!!!
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for the replies fellow tuba players and I think you've narrowed the choice down to Vincent Bach or the Reunion Blues in leather.

Off to the car showrooom with tuba to see if it'll fit the car I'm looking to get.
  14. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Why not see if the showroom will modify the car you want with a "Limited edition Tuba Compartment" - now there's a market!!:biggrin: