Tuba Advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by defnotsimon, Jul 8, 2010.

1. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

I am looking to purchase a new tuba and am considering both the Willson 3400-TA and a Miraphone Ambassador.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Seems like no one has anything like this in stock for me to try out. So anything that anyone could say about either of these instruments would be greatly appreciated.
  2. markneukirchen

markneukirchen New Member

Hi there,

Why not give 'Mr Tuba' a call,
    he is the only real tuba expert in the UK.

He has hundreds of hand picked tubas in stock,
    I bought a beautiful rotary valve MrTuba model.
    It's the best tuba I have ever played.

Good luck,
  3. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

I've talked to him already.

Sadly he doesnt have these tubas in stock so I cant try them. But I will find them somewhere!
  4. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I think Rosehill Instruments in Beaconsfield is the only dealer in the UK likely to have both of these.
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Our band has a matched set of EEb Willsons.

They blow really nice (not sure of the bore size, but it feels like a big horn).

However, I am really not a fan of...
    1) a fifth valve - I'd rather have a compensating horn, and
    2) sideways valves that don't work with gravity.

So needless to say, I just ordered a Yamaha and it is en route as we speak.
  6. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

The Willson that I am talking about is a top action one. I already have a front action one, like the ones that you play, and am looking to change to a top action. I never had a problem with the valves as in my experience valves dont generally work with gravity but rather on their springs!

The reason that I put this thread up was that I had talked with quite a few dealers, including Rosehill Instruments, but while they will all stock them no one has them in stock and I dont really fancy buying an instrument blind.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I didn't realise Willson had a top action horn...if it blows at all like the side action one, it really would be worth a try! Pity there doesn't appear to be a place to do that nearby (I only got to try out the various horns at ITEC a couple of years back). I don't suppose your going on holiday to Switzerland anytime?
  8. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

Well..... If I cant find anything over here then a trip to both factories may well be on the cards. I would rather not do that, though when I decide on one I will be going there to pick my own tuba.
  9. markneukirchen

markneukirchen New Member

Hi there,

As I said, give MrTuba a call,

Last time I was there,
    he had a Miraphone Norwegian Star EEb tuba in stock,
    and had more new instruments on order.

All his tubas are hand picked,
    and he offers great service and is one of the best Brass repairers in the Country.

He may be able to help you,
    or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck,
  10. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

Not wanting to be rude but I already know what direction that I want to go in. As I said I was looking at those two tubas specifically. I really just wanted to know if anyone had either of those and what their impression of them was.

In terms of handpicking a tuba mine will be too. The only difference is that it will be my hands that are doing the picking.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Have you tried finding out a little more on the Tubanews site and forum? Wide range of brands & models are regularly discussed there by experienced players and tutors.

N.B., seems the forum mods there haven't cleaned the boards recently!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010