Tsk....the kids of today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by KMJ Recordings, Jun 29, 2009.

1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just don't know how 'good' they've got it :hammer

Link

(apart from the MP3s that is ;) )

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dad
    KMJ Recordings
    Lancashire
    Yorkshire
    Dragon 32
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmmmm! Spoiled for choice is what I am thinking. If you had to think what else was available back then as a portable player, the Walkman was head and shoulders above anything else (and costly too!).

4. KMJ Recordings

Yep....imagine having to wait 60 seconds to get to the next track you wanted to listen to....unimaginable :D

.....and having to take the tape out and turn it over! That involves effort ;)

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith, now I feel really old ;)

6. KMJ Recordings

Just feel? ;)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The thing is ... that the sound quality of the Walkman was also well above the market expectations. I'm just trying to remember the price it first sold for. I couldn't afford the first generation of player ... not until I got a Summer job!

8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Lol, naff off :biggrin:

9. KMJ Recordings

It was designed to be < $120 ish in about 1979 IIRC.

Someone's just posted session pics from last weekend on their website....I never realised how grey you'd made me last year :biggrin:

I remember getting a mono Waltham tape recorder with microphone for my 8th birthday....it cost £15....

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm sure it was about £100ish in the UK.

11. KMJ Recordings

That'll be about right. Things over here tend to be 75-100% of the numerical value of the American price, irrespective of the exchange rate :ranting2:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dad
    KMJ Recordings
    Lancashire
    Yorkshire
    Dragon 32
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I even remember buying (hard) contact lenses for about £300 then ... :eek:

14. KMJ Recordings

The techno revolution is scary, innit?

Mind, I still wish they'd bring back the bigger square Mojos....the ones that were 1p each rather than 1/2p.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's the cost to the developers that is mind-boggling when you think of the relative cheap costs they have to sell the gear for. The audiophile market is still holding out strong though. Very difficult to pick up any bargains these days.

Mojos? Loved the spearmint ones! :p

16. KMJ Recordings

Just think how much a Walkman would've cost with oxygen free gold interconnects, solid silver core mains adaptor, in-ear equivalents to HD800s and the large vat of snake oil ;)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sennheiser HD800s? :-? ... makes my HD600s look like tin cans, lol! (Andy Murray's just won at Wimbledon ... at 22:38).

I won a 4gB Samsung mp3 player at work which has more bells and whistles than I could ever imagine. Sound quality is okay too! I just cannot get used to the finger sweeps to change function though ...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  18. KMJ Recordings

I'll be sticking with my sets of HD650s for now.....it's more likely that when I upgrade them (as I'd need 2-4 pairs) that I'd go with AKG 701 or 702 rather than HD800...

Bells and whistles still won't make MP3s sound good ;)

19. This thread is scaring me. I remember crank 78 RPM record players.

20. David Mann

David Mann Member

..it's turning into that Monty Python sketch, but fwiw my first "portable" device was a reel - to - reel tape recorder that I used to carry to my mate's house on the bus. Sorry, on t'bus.

Luxury!

21. KMJ Recordings

Splicing the tape in two wi' bread knife....

The 'best' bit is I'm from Lancashire not Yorkshire ;)

The whole thing is paralleled everywhere there's technology...my Dad would've fainted if he'd known how powerful this laptop is, for example, having taken great delight in telling me the the Dragon 32 I got in 1983 had 8 times more "core memory" than the room size mainframe he started out on...mind, he'd also have found it amusing that you needed 2GB of RAM just to run a bloated OS :hammer

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My 90 year old mum is fascinated by the internet and how information can be quickly distributed using phonelines, cable and the airwaves.